Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

How do you find an actual culinary school that offers like year round courses?

I want to go to culinary school and learn how to cook and get a job cooking, but when i search for it all i can find are these silly touristy classes. I don't want an experience of cooking one dish that will revitalise my love for cooking, i want to learn to cook so i can get a job cooking so i can actually get good at it.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Look for culinary schools and not cooking classes. They're all over the place unless you are in a rural area.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • james
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The best in the world are in the Philippines.  Student visa to there.  9 month class's. But in the off 3 months there are some special schools that will teach you to butcher, what to look for in meat & produce, knife handling & other to go with chef school. 

• 4 weeks ago
  • John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

In the west:  https://www.ciaatcopia.com/

Be aware that it can be difficult to earn the tuition back by working, as with all American colleges. As the reputation goes, anyway.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The Great Courses (online) has a four DVD set on cooking called the Everyday Gourmet.  This would be a good place to start. 

• 4 weeks ago

The renowned Culinary Institute of America, or Johnson & Wales are your best bets. 

• 4 weeks ago

If you’re not opposed to online learning, here is an online culinary school. 

https://www.escoffier.edu/explore/oncampus/online....

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The Culinary Institute of America (CIA) is located in New York State, about 1 1/2 hours north of Manhattan. It has 2 and 4 year programs and runs several restaurants where students are the employees. It also is quite a plus on one's resume. It is run like a college, because effectively it IS a college, complete with dorm rooms. THey also have campuses in California, Texas and one overseas. 

However, it aint cheap. 

I went to a bush league culinary school(which has since been sued out of business). But many of my teachers were CIA graduates. 

• 4 weeks ago
  • 4 weeks ago

In the age of the pandemic finding a school offering classes may be hard to find.  Also it may be hard to find a job cooking right now. 

We had a Culinary Institute in our city but they did not offer year round classes.  They did offer a dining room that was open to the public where you could order meals created and served by their current students.  The students were surprised one day when they showed up to attend class and found the door locked.  This was troubling for the students since the school shutdown in the middle of the semester.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.