Ivy asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Why is my 8 year old nephew  Ignoring me?

So my nephew lives with my family (me, mum and brother) as my nephews dad is not in the picture and his mum (my sister) is a drug addict. 

So  I was looking after him on weekends because my mum works. We would have fun and play games/go out. Since I’ve gone Back to work I also work weekends and my bro minds him. Although now my nephew has started to completely ignore me for the last 2 weeks. My mum doesn’t seem to care and when I mention it she says it’s nothing and that I’m fighting with a child. I’m not fighting I’m trying to sort out the why

Like it’s a problem that’s not being addressed or discussed...thoughts?

maybe you should ask him this question

I agree with the previous poster.  Perhaps he does see you as another family member who abandoned him.  Schedule some time on your days off to spend quality time with your nephew.  Play some boardgames, go to the park, take a walk.

The little boy has been abandoned by people that he has bonded with. His father, mother, and since going back to work, now you are. At least in a child's mind, that is how he is feeling. He is old enough for you to attempt to explain to him what is happening. I suggest you take him aside and tell him how much you miss him every day that you go to work and how you can't wait to see him when you get home. Also, tell him how it makes you feel because of how he has been acting towards you. Hopefully explaining things to him will allow him to understand what has happened. He obviously is having rejection and abandonment issues.