Pod asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 months ago

Where, other than libraries, are you supposed to be quiet?

I'm writing a scene that has to be in a quiet environment with other people, but I don't want to put it in a library. Help?

The residents in a graveyard are extremely quiet.

my house     .

Church; movie theaters; live theatre/performances; hospitals and special hospital units, such as nurseries, or ICU's; school study halls; ceremonies and ceremonious speeches; museum tours.

• Phil

wherever and whenever a minute's silence is called for.

Hospitals, church services, wedding ceremonies, wakes, in school...

• denise

A funeral home / Crematorium.

Hospital / Rest home.

Church / Chapel.  

Churches. Monasteries. Funerals. Classical music concerts. Plays. Operas.

• Marli

Theatres, places of worship, cemeteries and funeral homes, memorials, some museums, lectures and speeches, classrooms, hospitals and nursing homes, any part of the outdoors where you or other people want to observe wildlife.

I want to include public transit, shops / stores, offices, banks and the hall outside my apartment.  Unless you are an infant or giving an emergency warning (e.g. Fire! Or Stop! There's no stairs there!), you shouldn't shout. There is no need to raise your voice in most places 

• Speed

Security staff were fast and firm silencing people on the USS Arizona when I visited. I presume any memorial to lives lost is going to be similar.

I've shushed people myself who were in a cemetery exercising or taking pictures near a burial service or mourners visiting a grave. Every time they were unaware and quieted immediately.

Museums don't demand silence, but if someone is being quite loud, they'll be asked to keep it down.

During live performances at theatres, church services, lectures, and classes, quiet is expected and those who cannot be quiet are asked to leave.

9/11 or holocaust memorials and movie theaters... museums are also a big one