Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can I get unemployment for digestive issues?


I was on FMLA at one of my employers due to digestive and pelvic floor issues. I was receiving medical help once or twice a week if not more. I had to leave this job due to an unsafe work environment with I report to HR as harassment and bullying and ended up quitting. 

I found a position that would accommodate my doctors appointments and such but was let go due to COVID-19. I was frantically looking for a job and accepted a work from home position. Unfortunately, It does not accommodate my medical appointments. I am finding that my health is suffering during this time and wish to quit until I can find a position that will accommodate my needs. This employer also has strict guidelines/expectations on how often you can go to the RR but I have a note from my gastroenterologist stating I need Unlimited access to the bathroom at all times as sometimes I can be in there for +30 min due to an issue that I cannot control. 

Do I qualify for unemployment? What documentation will I need to provide? 


I have a tortuous colon and weak pelvic floor. This causes severe constipation, diarrhea, hip and abdominal pain accompanied with ongoing nausea/vomiting.  I was seeking medical help from a gastroenterologist, pelvic floor therapist, and a gynecologist.

Will I need a hearing?

3 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You should probably look into disability payments. 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    If you quit, you do not qualify.  See, part of unemployment requires you be able to work, and you are stating you are essentially unable to work.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    You would not qualify for unemployment. Your issue more closely resembles disability.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.