What's the best anti-virus software I can get for my laptop?

Last year I got a cheap $300 HP laptop as a backup. The anti-virus, I think MacAfee, expired after a month so I haven't used it (to connect to the internet) since.  I want to install anti-virus protection but don't know what's good?  The only two names I know are MacAfee and Norton.

Also the laptop has run extremely slow, even right out of the box (which is why I never use it).  I called HP support and they ran a diagnostic test which revealed significant issues (it was running all kinds of things), but they refused to do anything to fix it because I contacted them just after the 90-day window (despite the fact that I only turned it on a handful or times).

So idk if there's something good I can get that will speed it up and provide protection?

I've used Malwarebytes for the longest time.

Avast is good too, if you want a free alternative.

YOU CAN USE 360 TOTAL SECURITY FOR FREE

< Also the laptop has run extremely slow >

For $300 I'm not surprised.  Spend more extra money next time.  You want to pay the very least, you get the bottom of the barrel.  You don't need to buy a gaming level laptop but get at least an I5 or better processor with decent component specs.  

For free antivirus, you can just use Windows Defender.  AVG is another decent choice.  the recommended ones shift back and forth, check at Tom's Hardware site for free antivirus recommendations. 

< (it was running all kinds of things) >

Get a friend who is computer savvy to go through and delete a lot of the background programs that are just chewing up CPU and processing capacity.

MCafee works like a prize!

I've used free AVG for years. I tried AVAST on a few different computers and it slowed them all terribly. I found Norton and McAfee too expensive and not as good as free AVG.

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes anti-viral. I had a lot of problems with both MacAfee and Norton, and this is a program that has none of those issues. But anti-viral programs won't speed up your computer. You need to find out why your computer is slow, not download more stuff for it to do if you want it to run faster. However, a lot of virus programs don't run enough in the background--MWB does. 

These are actually two separate issues--download and install your MWB program, THEN use one of the free programs out there to diagnose and correct any issues with slow running. It might be your hardware, your graphics cards or your software. Or, you may have a virus or trojan already. Make sure your computer is completely "clean" of any malware before trying to increase the speed. And be careful what you download. 

I assume that laptop is running Windows 10.  It has a built in security software called Defenders.  There is no need to add any other third party anti-virus.  The Defenders works better then any of them because it is actually part of Windows.  Save your money for something else.

look for cheap or free at cnet.com/downloads.  none of the offering are rated perfect at the job anyway, so I like to choose one that isn't the two big names ... fewer hackers probably trying to defeat the odd system

• Ron75

I have used all of the top virus programs and settled on AVG for a couple of reasons. I have used it for four years now and have never had any viruses or malware and their tech service is top of the lind in my opinion. Nortons is good but their tech service left something to be desired when I talked to them. In my Windows 10 laptop I just use the Windows defender and it has worked well so far.

Ron

I would recommend BitDefender, but from my experience, it takes too long to scan the files and uses too much resources. Install Malwarebytes to wipe out any potential malware and CCleaner to clear cache and thumbnails. If possible, you can check Crucial's website to see if your laptop can be upgradeable (storage and memory).