Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 4 months ago

Are Highschool Diplomas Any Less Credible If You Graduate Later Than You Were Supposed To?

I'm a 19 year old homeschooled continuation/credit recovery student who's just about to graduate. I have a fear that for whatever reason, my highschool diploma may be less credible to colleges or jobs because I graduated later than I was supposed to. Is it a reality that this actually matters or am I worrying for no reason?

Worrying for no reason. Due to differences in cut-off dates to start school, even those who get straight through K-12 normally could be 17, 18, or 19 on graduation day. More important is to earn a genuine high school diploma, not a GED, which is considered less demanding, therefore less valuable than HS diploma.

Nobody knows when you were "supposed to" graduate. Your resume should show your year of graduation, not the dates attended. 

• DON W

It really shouldn't matter, particularly since age 19 is only about a year behind the usual graduation age of 18.  There are a variety of reasons why people graduate a bit late: health problems, travel abroad, etc.  I really wouldn't worry about it.