do you think prison is a cruel and severe punishment ?

i watched a programme on prison life that was filmed before coronivirus, it was a womens prison, i thought their lives were VERY hard no longer could these women go, eat or wear what they want, the prison days started at 6am with loud bells going off, the women had to wear full prison uniform , then some of the women went off to work they had to walk in silence, the other women were then locked back into their tiny bear cells, the women had to keep their cells spotless if not they were punished at 4pm the women were locked into their cells until the next morning, the prisoners then started shouting out of their heavly barrded windows, the noise was awful, many of the prisoners complained of the utter boredom and misery of imprisonment, all the women said how much they missed their freedom and desperatly wanted to be free, all the prisoners looked sad and misreable, many had years left to serve of their punishment,

I FELT SORRY FOR THEM WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

You wouldn't feel so sorry for them if they had hurt you. People are in prison because they broke the law - and sometimes they physically hurt/kill people in doing so. My (old) mother had just finished her shopping once, when this young woman came up and took a couple of bags of mum's shopping and began to run off. My step father was nearby and caught the woman and took back the shopping with her begging not to call the police. My poor mum was on an aged pension without much money - and this woman tried to steal from someone already struggling? You feel sorry for her or my mother?? Save your sympathy for causes that deserve it - not people who are so self centred they don't care about anyone but themselves.

• L

EXACTLY what did you think prison would be like?  It's NOT the Ritz.  Prisons have rules for a reason.  They give prisoners all the SAME clothing to wear - it's cheaper than buying them designer clothing.

don't want to go to prison ? be law abiding . not too hard . If you go ,sorry , shoulda thought of that BEFORE you did your crime . I think ALL 1st time offenders should get jail time to teach them a lesson that there ARE consequences to their actions. Teach em right in the beginning that jail sucks and the way to stay out is follow the law . 

Prison, in North America is designed to punish, not reform, law breakers. Thus, time spent in prison is by design, meant to be harsh to provide incentive not to return. 

I live in a prison town, as we have 2 jails and 1 prison. I know people who are employed as guards and a few people, both male and female, who have done time, including a former boyfriend who was sexually assaulted by gang members while serving his sentence. Personally, I have been held in jail for court appearances in my past, but have never served a jail or prison sentence. 

Based upon my experience and knowledge, prison should be designed to inflict the harshest punishment possible for the crime committed for both deterrence purposes and to punish the offender. I understand the violence behind bars, including rape and believe that this is publically acknowledged and if you are stupid enough to get sentenced to prison, then beatings, rape and even death is a logical outcome.  Hell, I think bringing back the stap or whip for disciplinary purposes in prisons is justifiable .

they asked for it by committing a crime, i feel like im in prison cause of all these shutdowns

You have asked this same question several times. Prison is MEANT to be miserable. If it wasn't, nobody would mind going there.

Now please take up some other obsession.

PS If the women were in 'bear' cells' then they really were in trouble. I suppose you mean 'bare'.

From your name, I'm guessing you're a Lori Laughlin fan.  

A lot of democrats are letting people out of prison to prey on regular people.  

the main purpose of prison is too punish, these women have caused much suffering on their victims, and have no respect for the law, now its their turn to suffer, prison should be a very strict and misreable place so criminals are properly punished in the hope they wont offend again.

• audrey

If they don't like prison, then they shouldn't have committed crimes.