Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 months ago

Does this mean the future won't be good?

I had been helping my BF with some expenses but today he said, "Do not spend money on me in future. Do not waste". I said "It's ok" and that "You bought me for my bday too. I want to celebrate yours too". He then said "Will see" and his reason was because "I do not want to carry burden of money and gifts". I then said "Don't worry because we are a couple" which he then said "Ok fine. But make sure you are only giving by your choice". 

Smart people keep their finances separate until they're married (for legal reasons) so maybe he's just trying to make sure he doesn't end up in your debt. Doesn't mean he's planning to end the relationship, just that he wants to keep that as a guilt free option. That's how dating is supposed to work. 

you'll find out in the future

Kudos to your boyfriend.  He wants you to save your money.  Return the favor and tell him not to buy you a present.  Wouldn't that be nice?

If you are confused or uncertain about your boyfriend's comment, have a conversation with him and get clarification.  Also, consider why you have gone negative buy assuming the future will not be positive.  What evidence do you have to confirm this thinking?  It would seem your boyfriend is wanting you to be fully mindful when making choices in your life, and ultimately this can only produce an outcome best for you.

I don't see that, I just think he would prefer If you were more frugal with your money when it comes to him.