Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 month ago

Moving to Canada?

My partner and I are planning on getting married and then I'll be moving with him to canada. Is there anything I need to know beforehand? I'm unsure what I need to do to physically move my things to Canada with me. 

and then I'll be moving with him to canada.

DOUBTFUL

Getting married ceremony does not include move to Canada ticket.

Is there anything I need to know beforehand?

Procedure to obtain permission to immigrate is a good start.

As you get closer to moving day begin disposing of your stuff you will not be moving to the new home.

Make a list of your goods and give it to the the Border Agent to speed up your processing at the border.

A reputable moving company knows how to pack your stuff for international shipping.

When we moved out there from the UK, my husband was 'head-hunted' by one of the Banks and at the time, it was necessary to have employment out there.  It took a whole day up in London going through the Visa requirements and then another 4 or so months before we got the ok.   

Depending on how much you want to move with, you'd use one of the bigger Moving Companies who will do all the physical and paperwork necessary and then once over there, wait for it all to turn up!!

You can't just pack up your things and move to Canada. You first need to obyain a permanent resident visa. Details are on the Canadian immigration website here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citi... . Generally, you'll have to provide a medical certificate and criminal record check, submit the application and go through an interview process.

Have you looked into the visa situation? I have a friend who was engaged to a Canadian- they tried to move to Canada, but they couldn't get the immigration situation sorted out. He needs to apply for you to come in on either a fiance visa or a spouse visa. To bring someone to the US, it's easier to bring them in as a fiance and then get married. 

As for moving, contact a moving company. They can drive across the border. Or rent a trailer from U-Haul and move the stuff yourself. 

Well, you need all the government permission of course!  What Americans call getting a green card, which we call getting your PR (Permanent Resident) status.  Apart from that, it is much like any other move.  You need to get a new driver's license, register for healthcare, contact a moving company, and things like that.

I assume you've got the visa aspect sorted (as you obviously can't move otherwise)

With regards to moving your belongings; first sort through and get rid of everything you don't need. Then consider the best option depending on how much you've got, and how quickly you want it there. 

You need to know that it gets seriously cold here in the winter.  

As for what you need to do to physically move your things to Canada, you'll need to physically move your things.  The teleportation machine is still broken.

What is your nationality?