Anonymous

Is my coworker jealous of me? Why is she being a ***** to me and lying to upper management? ?

So, I have been in my position as a manager at a grocery store for 2 months and 2 days. I didn’t start on the right foot with one of the managers. She has treated me like complete dirt. Upon talking to other employees, she is a liar to say of the least. She has been saying to everyone I make her feel uncomfortable. Okay, but why? She won’t tell me why. On Sunday, she literally followed me around the store. Mind you, she’s not my manager, but the same level manager I am. She would tell me what I was doing wrong and I will get terminated if I do it that way. Okay, why hasn’t the upper management told me this? I have built a strong relation with my customers and we live in a big city where I rarely even know anyone. Five customers on Sunday came up to say hi and two tracked me down to even say hi. She saw this and rolled her eyes at me. I was like wtf. I was doing a pick-up for cash on Sunday as well. All the teenagers gather around me and talk to me all the time. I’m not that manager that will intimidate my staff the way she does and yells at people and they know who’s manager. The teenagers have even told her to her face when I was gone that two other younger staff and me were their favorites. Idk if she hates me because she can’t build that interpersonal relationship with others they way I did, but I have that open-door policy where I will be strict if I have to. I have even had my employees thank me trying to build a relationship with them while other managers don’t. 

Ask your mutual supervisor, whomever and at whatever level that person may be, to put together a meeting for the both of you with your boss. Then just ask her if there's anything you can do to ease the friction between you. Don't make about blaming her, making it about what you need to do to make her feel more comfortable. 

• Alan H

If you refer to her as a liar and a *****, it is hardly surprising you do not have a good relationship!