Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

If you were the only one (but one other) not invited to a coworkers 30th b’day do you ask her how it went afterwards?

You see on facebook feed via mutual facebook friends comments and photos, that the event occurred.

You must be young.  Not a criticism but older ppl with some experience in the work force would not even have to ask this question.  Trust me, don't mention it to her.  She will not feel comfortable talking about it to someone not invited to the celebration.  Some ppl from church that I thought were friends didn't invited me to their wedding.  They actually saved me a couple of hundred $ that I would have spent on a gift for them.  I didn't ask them about their wedding.  So I practice what I preach.

no. consider yourself lucky. 

Facebook and work do not mix well. Her birthday is not your concern. 

i would ask them why they never invited you

• ted

No, do not ask about the birthday celebration, since you were not invited.  

No.  There's no point. It is find to say "I hope you had a happy birthday."  It is not appropriate to say, "how did your party go?" It is none of your business.  It won't help your relationship to point out that you are stalking your co-worker of Facebook.  

Nobody posting this kind of question ever bothers to tell the whole story.

So you and one other weren't invited. OK. But until we know how many of you there are, and whether you're all at the same level, or whether the birthday person is actually friends with you and the other person at all, we can't know exactly what the situation really was.

If it's a company of 35 and 33 were invited, that's pretty damning. On the other hand if there are five of you and two weren't invited, that's nothing. Or if those three are close friends, or if they're at a different level in the company from you, or in a different department - see what I'm getting  at?

Two choices: 1) Ask or 2) Do not ask.  Comes down to what feels right for, and there is no obligation to do so.

Most people would have gone anyway and gotten drunk and slapped the Hell out of the coworker.

No! You were not asked and it would seem awkward if you asked.

If she mentions it, maybe casually ask if she had a good night, but otherwise no.