Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If a package is misdelivered to my address, is it legal for me to deliver it to the correct address myself?

Had a delivery person knock once loudly at our door this morning, accompanied by him yelling out who he was, I believe he said UPS, before I saw him quickly hurry off from my upstairs window. Two of my roommates orders things online all the time so I checked whose room I should drop it off in, then saw all 3 were delivered to the same incorrect address. The delivery driver was already gone in that small time frame to inform him of the mistake and take them back. 

I put the address in my GPS to see how far off he was, as it was not even addressed to our street, but it belonged to our neighbor. We live right on the corner of a 3 way intersection, and our neighbors driveway extends into the forest where you can barely see their house from street level, and their mailbox is closer to our driveway, so it was an honest mistake. 

I walked up and rang their doorbell to inform them of the mistake and drop off their packages, but no one answered, so after confirming the house number was correct I left them by the doorstep and walked back home. But now I'm worried if that was the right call to make and if I should have called the delivery service to inform them of the error, since I'm unsure of the legality of handling someone else's packages. We moved in rather recently so we don't know the neighbors at all. What protocol should I have taken for next time if the mistake occurs again?

In Connecticut, USA

Yes, you can do that, but if you do, you assume responsibility for the safety of the package.

yes as that would be mail tampering, it is not legal to open some one elses mail box, and put mail into it 

• David S

That is incorrect. Mail tampering is a completely different situation.

It's legal for you to deliver it to the right address.

My package was delivered to my neighbor just last week. They just dropped it off on my porch. We get their packages as well. I’m a bit more high strung than they are, so I knock on their door when I notice they’re home to make sure they got it. When you go to talk to them you could ask them what they want you to do if it happens again. You could also have called UPS and asked them what to do if you’re concerned about the package being stolen. The guy has a phone and they can send him back.

I handled my own package earlier 

It was perfectly fine to take the packages to your neighbors.  It happens all the time, and it's usually that the driver either got the house # wrong, or the street mixed up with another in the same neighborhood.  I've had packages misdelivered and I just take them to the right house.  Once I got a package that should have been sent to a totally different neighborhood, so I took it to the post office, and had them resend it.