What's the best way to pull off this car related prank?

I need some advice from people who are better pranksters than me. I'm between cars right now due to the timing belt snapping in my PT Cruiser and it taking out the water pump. I want to prank my family when I finally get newer car. What I'm thinking is that I should send them a text or email with a picture of my old PT Cruiser and pretend I got another one just like it. Another thing I was thinking was maybe send them a picture of a run down jalopy and pretend I got that. Then after that, I could send them a picture of a nicer car and pretend I sprung for something outside my price range and pretend that's actually my car.

I'm thinking of giving them a day after that before coming out and telling them what I actually get.

If you send them all 3 of those, they will not take you serious ...even when you show up in the one you really did buy.   i would suggest a picture of a run down PT cruiser that makes your old one look good and stick with that story.  With a little work you can string the story out.  Tell them the second day that the tires all went flat over night and you have to take them down individually to be inflated.  The third day tell them that the exterminator is coming over to clean out the inside.

They will be worried sick about your judgement 

Why do you think your life, or anyone else's, is improved by doing pointless, asinine things?  If you ever expect to be taken seriously in life, you need to realise that "pranks" & those who do them are imbecilic.  Expect only other imbeciles to aid you in this nonsense.   

You must not have anything important to do.

People do not have money these days and are also concerned about their health and the health of their relatives and friends and the state of the nation.  Not the time for pranks.