Is it normal for newer laptops to have a venting fan on the bottom?

I just purchased a laptop online and discovered that it has a venting fan on the bottom. I saw this in older laptops, but not newer ones. I thought maybe this would be good because it would prevent my laptop from overheating. But the battery life is very short and the fan runs excessively. I don't do a whole lot on the laptop to cause this.

I have a HP Pavilion Intel I7. 8gb memory. 16 GB ssd+1TB hard drive.

Favorite Answer

this vent fan is necessary, yes.  this is normal with higher powered laptops ... cpu generates heat that must be exhausted from the case.  as to the rest ... that can not be changed now. you needed to read reviews before buying and choose a brand/model that had what you want ... long battery life, for example.  Note that a used laptop may have short battery life because the battery is close to needing replacement

• Drea1 month agoReport

Yes it is a high powered laptop so that probably explains it. Thank you.

That depends on what the designers and builder considered to be the right configuration. They usually take in cool air at the bottom (which is why you mustn't obstruct that intake) pass it through the machine and vent it at the side.  Don't use it on soft surfaces (including your lap) as you risk blocking the intake. 

The name "laptop" is a misnomer, they shouldn't be used on your lap.

• Drea1 month agoReport

Agree. Thank you.

• David

It all depends on the design of the laptop, the current aesthetics, the amount of heat needed to be dissipated, high power gaming laptop will have vents bottom, sides etc. so there really is no “normal”

• Drea1 month agoReport

Ok thank you.