Help needed with an employee evaluation?

I am a manager for a non-profit and I am in the process of doing end of year evaluations for all of my members. I have an issue with one of my staff that I am not sure how to address in a professional way. This man is EXCELLENT at his listed responsibilities. He works great with clients, is open to feedback, and is very professional. However, he is consistently asking about if certain training, events, etc. are optional. We will have a group training and his initial question is always "Is it mandatory?" quickly followed by "Are we expected to stay for the whole time?" He also tends to shy away from team building activities which are a big part of our organizational culture. 

I am not sure how to state this as a professional concern since it is not an issue that is explicitly stated in his contract. However, it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth as his manager and makes me question his commitment to our organization and specifically our team. Any ideas on how to address this as his contract is ending and I would like for him to develop professionally and not continue this behavior in his next position? 

• Judy

Have you talkd to him about this separately from and before the evaluation?  If not, it should not be brought up as part of the evaluation.  Make it a separate comversation.

Instead of treating it like a negative, why don't you work on finding out why he shies away from group events. 

It will be interesting to see what other answers you get but I think the way you presented the situation is exactly how I would present it to him. In today's employment world training and team work are heavily emphasized and he needs to recognize this. To begin I would probably broach the subject by asking him why he avoids these activities. Maybe he has other commitments that are really important and that would be good for you to know because there may be a way to work with him to get him to the activities.