Michael Robson asked in PetsDogs · 4 months ago

how do i stop my dog from making so much noise while im trying to sleep?

Dogs are often less noisy if sleeping in the same room WITH you.  Dogs are "pack" animals and do not like, being alone esp for long stretches.  Dog can be given a dog bed or crate in your room.  All dog eventually NEED to go OUT to relieve themselves & don't understand the concept of "sleeping in" or changing routines, esp if it means..... putting off their next MEAL.

• Amber

Could you be specific about the noise? If not I'll make a guess.

1) A lot more exercise in the day and before bed. Ensure the dog goes out before you go to bed and give him/her plenty of time to do their thing. Also invest in some enrichment toys at bed time to keep him/her occupied.

2) Barking, howling, whining. See a vet first. This could be down to a number of medical conditions.

3) Pacing. Again see a vet for that. Back to the exercise thing

4) General restlessness (scrapping at doors, digging up bed) Again more exercise to tire him/her out. Mental stimulation games to keep him/her engaged while you sleep. Ensure the dog has water throughout the night. Put something in front out the door so he/she can't get there to scrap at it.

Make a list of the symptoms and talk to the vet. My dog started with restlessness at night and it developed in Canine Cognitive Disorder and months of no sleep at night for me until she was finally diagnosed. 

Build a "Silent room" or shed for the dog. Or yourself.

Shoot the dog with an assault rifle.