keno asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

Do runners who run around the track burn more calories then the ones that are sprinting the whole time?

Me running 5 miles around the track isn’t so difficult but sprinting 100m 10 times and I’m pretty much done. I was just wondering because everyone who runs 100m aren’t very skinny but lean and muscular 

Typically, intervals burn more calories both during and after the workout. Calories burned are very tightly tied to heart rate, and running fast raises your heart rate more quickly than easy, steady state running. When you run sprints without excessive rest, your average heart rate for the whole workout will be higher, therefore you will burn more calories over the same amount of time. After an interval workout, the body will have accumulated lactate, which the body tries to purge, resulting in more calories burned from the body still working. It is important to note though, that these comparisons are for workout of the same duration. Of course you will burn more calories from a 5 mile run than doing 10x100m because either the 5 mile run will take a lot longer, or the rest in between the intervals will let your heart rate drop too much.

• .

Steady pace running tends to burn fewer calories than intervals (having some high intensity sprints mixed in with lower effort periods), but mostly because the interval run tends to cause the body to continue to burn more calories for a few hours after the workout, where the steady-pace run doesn't. 

There's a 'calories burned' calculator here https://www.freedieting.com/calories-burned for you to put in your personal info and see what the difference is, but you'd need to know the approximate pace of your runs and sprints.  Example: If I run 60 mins at a 13 min/mile pace, the calculator says I'll burn 385 calories, but if I run that amount of time at an 8.5 min/mile pace the calorie burn would be 705.

Not as far as I know.  A runner's rule of thumb is that we burn about 100 k-calories per mile, regardless of speed.  It's total distance running, not speed of running, that mainly determines calories burned. 

However, that rule of thumb is for aerobic running. I don't know that it applies to running above the lactate threshold. It might be going into or recovering from oxygen debt causes the body to burn extra calories.

But, calories burned during a workout is only part of the picture.

Muscle fiber type influences the appearance of muscles. Muscles with a lot of slow twitch fibers tend to be thin. Muscles with a lot of fast twitch muscles tend to bulk up. Slow twitch fibers prefer fat as fuel. People with a lot of slow twitch muscles tend to be naturally thin. Fast twitch muscle fibers prefer glucose as fuel.

So, people who are good at distance running are not necessarily thin because of their running: The same thing that makes them tend to be thin also tends to make them good at distance running. The same thing that makes a good sprinter also tends to give sprinter's better developed muscles. 

In short, some distance runners chose to be distance runners because they are good at it, and because part of what makes them good at it also makes them thin. 

Long distance running is about stamina and pacing. Sprinting is about initial muscle strength.