Is this a good build? Would I have problems?

I already own a gtx 1060 3gb 

Update:

Im also not sure what power supply to get.

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Get a better processor and a less expensive motherboard

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

That board is complete overkill for a processor that isn't even unlocked. You can get away with a B series board or at least a less expensive Z390 and put the rest toward faster memory.

Assuming this is USD you can get 16GB of DDR4 3600 for not even $10 more https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-28800...

Unless you were stuck on Intel you could probably also build a faster PC overall if you went AMD since you can get a decent B450 board for less than $150 and then put the extra $100 toward getting a Ryzen 7 3700X or something, or even save money by getting an R5 3600. If you did go Ryzen then you absolutely do want the 3600 MHz RAM or at the very least 3200.

Basically it's not that the build won't work but you could get something better for that price or less fairly easily just by shopping around a bit more.

• 1 month ago

Not really, it could be a lot better. What you picked will work but it's far from being a good value for the money.

First thing to clear up. No, your PC won't crash if the CPU, GPU, or RAM gets bottlenecked. Bottlenecks always occur, and there isn't much you can do about it. But, you shouldn't pair an $80 CPU up with a $600 Graphics card either. Fundamentally, you'd pick the GPU for the settings and screen resolution, and the CPU for the framerates. However, even a Ryzen 3 3300x, Ryzen 5 2600, or the Core i5 you picked will have no problems churning out 60fps.

You will have to turn the settings down in newer games because 3gb of VRAM is cutting it close. I wouldn't worry about upgrading the GPU until later this year or next year when AMD and Nvidia releases their Next Generation Graphics cards. Ride it out with the 3gb GTX 1060 for a bit because cards like the GTX 1660 aren't a worthy upgrade. The GTX 1060 it will hold you over just fine.

There isn't any real point in getting the Core i5-9400f because Intel's 10th Generation processors are out. The i5-9400f has 6 cores without Hyperthreading, but the Core i5-10400 has 6-cores with Hyperthreading. In gaming benchmarks, Intel's old 6-core w/o Hyperthreading 8th and 9th Gen processors are equal to the 4-core with Hyperthreading processors like the Core i7-7700k and Core i3-10100. The new 10th Generation Core i3 processors have 4-cores with Hyperthreading

Another pointless move in your build is pairing the i5-9400f up with a z390 motherboard. You might as well get a b360 or b365 motherboard instead. The Core i5-9400f is locked so you won't get to enjoy the overclocking benefits that come with the z390 motherboard. 

The Z390-A normally goes for $190 so it looks like the one you picked is overpriced. You might as well pick up a Ryzen 5 3600 and a b450 motherboard or a Core i5-10400 and a b460 motherboard.

For that matter, A Ryzen 5 3600 is probably a better alternative anyway, and b450 or x470 motherboards can be found for cheaper. 

The power supply you picked is a good one. A 550w-650w 80-Plus Bronze power supply is the sweet spot for a gaming rig because most graphics cards work with a Power Supply of that size. Right now power supplies are overpriced and stock is limited. 

• 1 month ago

Depends what you intend to use it for.  For most use it seems fine but if you want to push gaming to 4k probably neerds a better GPU but to be honest I'd wait till the next gen GPU for that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

3 gig graphics card is usually plenty I've seen people that buy these $400 graphics cards with 4 gigs ddr5 RAM and then their computer experience is all kinds of problems. Don't get a graphics card that has more power than your computer. You'll create what's called bottleneck and overload your CPU and your motherboard and end up crashing the heck out of your computer. 3 gig graphics card and plenty of RAM and a decently fast processor is all you need if you really want to get special get yourself a solid-state drive me I don't recommend a totally solid state drive I go with a hybrid drive which is partially solid state and partially physically hard drive

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it sounds good to me

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.