How long did it take you to save up for a new car?

Hello,

I thought I would ask you guys who have bought your own car...about how long it took to save up? I recently got 13k from my mom's veterans disability and I really would love to get a Jeep Wrangler (But they're about 30k lmao). I have 2 jobs lined up in the med field. Also, did you pay it off fully or do a payment plan after putting a down payment?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

From 14 to 17 to get my first car. Never got a new car and never will. Perhaps the single biggest waste of money most people make is buying brand new cars.

I financed my only car $6500 at 22. Paid it off in 19 months and have not financed another car in the last 35 years. Smart people pay cash.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I already had the money when I bought the last one and paid cash. My first car took about 4 months to put together a down payment and I financed it.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

ive never bought a car, dont even have a license

• 1 month ago

A larger down payment will usually get you a lower APR, as long as your credit score isn't bad, and obviously lower monthly payments.  I would put down an amount that would ensure the monthly payment easily fits your income...with room to spare.  I did the same thing even though I could've purchased it outright.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I was 25y/o when I bought my first “New” car, I had really good credit and a good job by then so I put down $1000.00 and financed the rest.  I financed it for 36 months. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.