Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 4 months ago

Any Advice?

So, My GPA is High School Was Terrible 2.75, and I doubt even with a Perfect SAT score I would be able to get into a College, And if that wasn't bad Enough... I can't goto a State College because I didn't take A-G Classes, I've heard many times about a "Associates For Transfer", But none of that seems appealing to me. I know I messed up my life and It's my fault. Any Advice? Thanks ahead of time.


Edit: None of the degrees in a ADT Seems Appealing

10 Answers

  • 4 months ago

    A slight exaggeration (I hope).  Are you debt-free or manageable?  Do you have a clean legal record?  If you do, keep them that way and count your blessings.  Not everyone can say that.  (I can and I hope so can you.)

    Are you employed?  Proactively, talk to an admissions counselor about your options.

  • 4 months ago

    I'm confused.  You write about your high school as if it is in the past, then mention that even if you got a "perfect" SAT score, it wouldn't be enough.  Did you take the SAT's?  They are an option for college admissions boards to consider.  Often, a student might not have a great transcript, but has stunning SAT scores,  and admissions considers a student's potential shown by the SAT.

    If you had taken the SAT already, I wouldn't be asking that; you'd have an answer.  The problem in the U.S. education system right now is that SAT's  are not going to be given again till 2022.  Due to the pandemic, testing was cancelled in March of this year, so the best we've got as evidence of academic capabilities at this point is the student's transcript.   However, don't lose faith.  A community college should readily accept you, and there are other independent schools as well that you can look into. This is where you start; you can transfer and move on when you've proven yourself academically.  As an adult, no matter how well you performed--or did not perform, in high school, success is up to you now, and many not-so-great students prove they can do it all the time!

  • 4 months ago

    You didn't mess up your LIFE. You got  a relatively middling GPA in high school. There are more than enough colleges that will accept you--with and even WITHOUT a "perfect" SAT. State universities and colleges accept nearly EVERYONE. Even people without a high school diploma. You haven't done enough research here. Get the book Barron's four year colleges and universities to get more info on colleges, majors, requirements and costs if you really want to go. You might be surprised. 

  • 4 months ago

    Are you even interested in going to college? There are schools outside California, such as Weber State in Utah and the U. of Texas-El Paso, that will accept you. However, persuading your parents to spend the money to send you out of state for school might be difficult. You may need to prove yourself and show them that you're now mature enough to settle down and study. The best way to do that is to start with community college. The classes are easier than at a four-year school, but they're more interesting than in high school. It would give you a chance to develop some study skills and figure out what you want to major in. The academic advisors there can also give you aptitude tests to help you figure out where your strengths and interests lie. (The military also has aptitude tests that will do the same thing for military jobs.) If you do well in community college, you can transfer to some out of state schools after a year or to a California state school once you have earned 60 credit hours.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

    I know im just reiterating what others have said but its important to hear it again.

    If you want to do the college thing, you may have to start at a community college and transfer in after two years (up to 60 credits max). Just do well and they will see you can handle the college load.

    I did this. I had a 1.5 GPA in high-school, got denied from every university, went to a community college and got a 3.5. I transferred into the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, finished with a B.S 3.3 GPA, got accepted into graduate school and earned a M.S, and Ph.D. It was quite the turn around, but it is possible.

    Frankly I thought college was easier than high school. My low GPA was a manifestation of a hatred for busy homework, which I never did. In college, most classes were based on 3-4 exams and little to no homework. I preferred that because it tested competency and understanding rather than a willingness to do stupid busy work.

    There are other alternative life strats too that are discussed in other responses. Just dont feel you eliminated your chances for an academic degree or professional job because of your highschool GPA. My Fiance didnt even graduate highschool and now she is a M.D. Just get some fighting spirit and bulldoze your way through life, and things will be aight.

  • 4 months ago

    Your choices are:

    - go for academic associate's degree to try to prove you really are capable of college level work & try to transfer into university bachelor's degree program - this is your second chance to prove you really can handle academics;

    - go to community college for vocational/occupational training program so you can try to get a job;

    - get a job, even though it pays poorly and has little to no chance of advancement;

    - join the military;

    - start your own business & demonstrate you're an entrepreneurial genius (or fail miserably).

    You fouled up, you know you fouled up. The only question now is whether you are going to continue fouling up, or give up, or try to turn things around. It's up to you. Your choice.

  • Kyle
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    have you considered the military?  the military isn't only for dropouts or "jarheads".  the military has hundreds of jobs that aren't all infantry or combat related. 

    IT, health care, logistics, analysts / intel, construction, hvac, electrician, air traffic control, and many others.  plenty of those fields i mentioned you can find good work after your service is over. some may take your years of training and experience and may not even need a college degree.  but if you still want to try college, the GI Bill will help pay for it.  most jobs only require four years service too.

    i believe recruiting is still going on even during this pandemic.  

    but you can do some research on lifestyle.  training.  different jobs on the websites.  bases you can go to, stateside or overseas.  the military lifestyle isn't for everyone, but plenty of people join for job training and skills to use when their service is over.  you may even earn industry related certificates in that field too.  along with credits towards an associates degree.

    do some research.  you might be surprised what jobs they have.  while you don't always get to choose your job, which depends on the ASVAB (high school level), if it's in demand, and other requirements needed like security clearance, there are still a wide range of opportunities out there.  a recruiter will have more info on the job process.

    as long as you don't have any major medical issues, can at least pass a sports physical, no criminal background, at least no felonies, and a high school degree you should be good to go.  

    good luck.  

  • John
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

    You can get into college. There are many small to mid-sized 4 year colleges and universities which are willing to give average students a chance.  They can be found in every state.

  • DON W
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    Of course you can go to college.  There's a college for students with every sort of GPA.  You won't be going to an Ivy League school or to a major state college, but there are literally thousands of other choices.

    Are you still in high school?  If so, virtually speak to your guidance counselor for ideas.  If that doesn't work for you, there are lots of reputable online college guides available on the Internet.

  • 4 months ago

    Well, starting at a California community college and then transferring to a four-year UC or CSU after two years really is your best, cheapest option. I'm not sure why it's not "appealing" to you, but you reap what you sow. 

    If it's just that you want to get out of the house for the "college experience," some California Community Colleges do offer student housing, although I can't promise it will be the same "college experience" as a four year school. 

    Another option would be a four-year college or university with an open admission policy, but these would tend to cost a *lot* more, and not be well regarded by employers. Four-year open admission colleges tend to be for-profit institutions. 

    An exception is John Paul the Great Catholic University, which isn't exactly open admissions but does have a 90% admit rate. Tuition runs about $26,000 - $35,000 per year, though (depending whether you take the summers off or stay in school year round) and that doesn't include housing or other expenses (suddenly, community college at $2,000 per year doesn't seem so bad, huh?). 

    Your high school college guidance counselor might have other ideas for you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.