Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 5 months ago

Do you get less Child Maintenance when you move in with a new partner?

I pay my ex partner each month for my 2 year old daughter. I can not currently have my daughter all the time over night as I am in the army. 

She was telling me that she was still living at her parents but recently slipped up and told me that she has moved in and moved my daughter in to her new partners house. I don't think the CSA are aware. 

If she is living with a new partner and has his income coming in does this effect how much I pay each month and also should I let the CSA know she is no longer at her parents?

No. Your payment is usually judged by a court order. To pay less, you'd have to seek it in court. You'd have to prove possibly that her new partner makes far way more than you and is much more able to support the child. But there's the thing. You're paying for the child's welfare, not hers, because you're the father in a paternity issue. 

Presuming you live in UK and if so then it doesn't matter if she move in with a millionaire you will still be paying the same amount to child support until child leaves full time education.

WHERE?  This is an International site and this is not International law.

How is the child support agreement written?  Exact wording - I have seen wording concerning significant partners AS IT AFFECTS SPOUSAL SUPPORT, NOT CHILD SUPPORT.

It doesn't change the amount..

Here all the rules are very specific.  No money is paid for the EX. The money is only for the welfare of YOUR children who remain your children even if she remarries.  Even if SHE has her own income it does not affect your obligations in our laws.  That may not be yours though.

• boj

No it doesnt change you child support obligation. 

You can try to cause as much trouble as you want, but your ex's new partner will not be required to pitch in one single dime to support your daughter. He pays HIS way, he's zero obligation to do anything else. 

I would definitely let them know. On the other hand it may not make much difference because your daughter remains yours and not his and you support and care for her. I know it is maybe difficult for you because you have mixed feelings about the other man in her life, but you need on keeping to support your daughter . It is very important for your relationship. Maybe you can’t have her staying with you at the moment but there will be a time in future when you can. You 

don’t want the relationship between the mother and you being strained because you didn’t support her. You want to be one of these fathers that stick with their child , even when it is difficult. Obviously you love your child and that is why you post this question. Keep on caring and supporting, whatever changes there will be in her life , because she can’t control them. https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201303/be...

• CB

No, less alimony, if contracted for in the divorce papers. Kids are YOUR responsibility not the new partners liability

that is up to a Judge, but CERTAINLY worth a try ...............