San
Lv 5

Which word is correct?

This table is reserved for someone else. Could you move (over / on) to one of the tables in the back of the room?

Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favourite answer

Asking someone who is evidently already seated to move to "the back of the room" makes it very plain that you consider them to be second class customers.

Much better to say, "I'm so sorry but this table is reserved. I wonder if I could move you to a table over there?" - with a gesture showing roughly where you mean.

And then OF COURSE you don't just leave them to wander over by themselves; you lead them to the best unreserved table available and say, "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience. I do hope this table suits you".

Then you go and sack the idiot who allowed guests to sit at a reserved table instead of TAKING them to one that wasn't reserved.

Note that saying, "I wonder if I could move you" takes the effort onto yourself, while asking someone to move sounds as if you're asking them to make the effort - not a good idea with paying customers.

• 5 months ago

Sorry this table is reserved, so please could you let me move you to another table over there?

Without the respectful word 'please' you are likely to encounter resistance.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Just say "This table is reserved." There's no need to add "for someone else" because the person already knows it's not for him.

Source(s): (S)cience
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Both would actually be OK, but you can manage without either - 

the real problem for me (native British) is the use of 'in'

Could you move to one of the tables at the back of the room?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Over. "On" would mean to sit on top of the table. 

• 5 months ago

'Over' is the correct word to use here.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.