Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 months ago

Should I get my tonsils removed?

Quick question. I'm a 16 year old girl, and I have always had giant tonsils. Every doctor I have ever met said to me they are huge. I have constant tonsil stones, and sore throats (monthly). When I get sick, I really get sick. I am also a singer. When I sing the throat will get really really sore for no reason. I met with an ENT today and he said it's my choice, he's seen bigger, but he's also seen smaller. Should I get the surgery? 

Recovering from a tonsillectomy is a much bigger deal for an adult than for a child. But the summertime is a good time to do it because you'll have time to recover. You can expect to feel miserable for at least a week with the worst sore throat of your life. You may lose your voice for awhile. If you are hospitalized overnight, no one will be able to visit you. So ask a lot of questions before going through with the surgery. If you are frequently sick with tonsillitis, its worth having the surgery.  

It sounds like you need to say good bye to your tonsils.  I got sick a lot before I had mine out in 5th grade and rarely get sick of anything now.

yes please get them removed

a few years ago it was a standard procedure

to remove kids tonsils because they were

always getting fever and sore throat eating

ice cream every day

If I were you I would get a second opinion. Then I would make a decision. All things being equal I would probably have them removed since it is a common procedure. I don't know about today but when I was small it was a very common procedure.