Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Why do some atheists turn into Christians?

Is it merely because of emotional reasons?

Or is it because they were convinced by a compelling argument or found irrefutable evidence for God?

39 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Many people who were formerly atheists came to realize that atheism did not give them what they needed.  Other former atheists recognize that there is more evidence that an intelligent purposeful creator exists, than that the universe just popped up one day, or always was.

Some science minded atheists came to realize that since there was a beginning of the universe, a capable intelligent entity outside of the universe must have created it.

Others see that there is a lot of evil in the world, but they correctly recognize that it is human-made evil, and instead of blaming God, or a human-made version of God. Humans should blame themselves, and try to do better toward the world and toward each other.  And that is what the true God teaches - that we are brothers and sisters and must love one another.

And the very fact that humans could recognize that this world is not the way it should be can convince some former atheists that there is good and bad, and we did not make it up, but it came from the way that we are made - which can point humans toward their Creator.

The true God looks for people who are willing to search for Him, and not feel that finding Him is going to make them do something that they don't want to do.  A God who is a righteous judge should not be someone that anyone should reject. 

He reveals himself through the things that He made.

"For God’s wrath is being revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who are suppressing the truth in an unrighteous way, 

because what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them. 

For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.  Romans 1:18-20

• ...Show all comments
    • Roberta B
      Lv 6
      4 days agoReport

Among the things that I listed for reasons why some atheists become Christians are:they reasonably recognized and were convinced that the universe and complex beings can only come from intelligence, not chance,and that wickedness comes from the selfish humans,not God,and some can choose to do right.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It is important to keep in mind that atheists are not a homogeneous group bound by common belief system or anything else, except that they don't believe in all gods. Some are that way because of lack of exposure to religion, some because of careful study, and some because religious claims make no sense to them (and a wide variety of other reasons).

There are probably a number of causes, but " irrefutable evidence for God" is not one of them.  The most likely reason is that as a person ages, their childhood memories can become more prominent, so atheists that were Christian in their youth often return to it.  Then there are a class of atheists that were atheistic by "default", they weren't raised in religon and never really looked into it, occasionally these may be converted by emotion or a compelling argument.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you love truth... are hungry for it... and search for it with all that you are... you won't be able to help running into the man who claimed to BE truth (incarnate).

"I am the truth."

Think for a sec. If I went around saying that about myself, someone would lock me up. That's an over-the-top claim. 

"I am the truth."

This is what Jesus said about Himself. He did NOT say "I'm going to show you the way to truth." or "I will tell you the truth." He said "I AM the truth."

He also gave Himself the title of "teacher". 

So go to Him and hear Him out. See what it is He wants to teach you. He also claimed to be Lord. If He is the truth, and Lord; then He will be able to reveal that to you all by Himself... He doesn't need me to prove it to you.

It is always an intellectual search for truth that leads people to the event that split history into two. Anyone who is truly honest and loves truth won't be able to avoid it.

• 1 month ago

At some point in time their critical thinking skills became corrupt.  At that point they willfully believed all manner of lies and outright bullshit because it made them feel good.  Religion does that.  It makes you feel good regardless of whether it is true or not.  It sabotages your common sense.  It undermines your logic.  It is like the Dark Side of the Force..... quicker, more seductive.  I think it is pathetically sad that in the 21st century we still have people believing in outdated ancient iron age superstition instead of cold hard fact, proof and evidence.  Religion is a lie.  Always has been.  Always will be.  That, is just a fact.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Well it could be either. The problem is that theists feel like they have reasoned properly to reach their conclusion but when their reasoning is refuted, it gets ignored, making it purely emotional that defies the intellect which is what defines irrationality. Anytime I read an ex-atheist testimony, it is never intellectually compelling even if they believe it is.

• 1 month ago

Fear, mainly, with weak critical thinking skills

• ...Show all comments
    • Jim V
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

@Gone Galt
      Both are true examples.
      Atheists like to label theists as "weak" as a means of self-supporting rhetoric.
      Richard's response is just another example of applied genetic fallacy.

• 1 month ago

They listen to the call when the Holy Spirit calls to them and then they receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior who takes away their sins when they hear the gospel of Jesus Christ preached.  We can reject the call of the Holy Spirit, but He will eventually stop calling us and it is possible we could be turned over to a depraved mind by rejecting this call.  

• Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Atheism is simply ignorance of the reality of God. We are all ignorant of many things. That doesn't mean we cannot discover realities we were formerly ignorant of. And yes, many atheists do discover the reality of God every year.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Didn't Yahoo just run a story last week about some Christian rocker who turned atheist?  Or did you miss that bit of news?

• ...Show all comments
    • River Euphrates
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

They are probably pretty sure he'll be back.

And he'll have some 'feel good story' about how he 'overcame atheism' and they'll all smile and take him back.

• Jake
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Jesus exists and is God.  A person can know these things with certainty by way of having true devotion to the Immaculate Heart of the Virgin Mary.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.