Is there anyway you can tell what kind of ground beef it is?

If yes then how?

• IvaB

Unless you grind you own,there is no sure way to know exactly what cut(s) of beef are in an already ground package from the market.

• nappa

Look on the label, if it says 73 % lean it means there is 27 % fat, good for use if you like grease,, not sold in many stores today because of the fat amount, 80% is ground chuck, most widely use for everyday cooking,, 85 % is ground round, 90% ground sirloin and 93 % is extra lean, the leaner you buy the drier it is,good for one's on strict diets.. best to stick with 80 or 85 % for daily use,,

• Beth

It is usually chuck 

• kswck2

Ask the butcher. 

I stopped buying ground  beef  becase I just do not trust what is ground up in the meat.

So, I pick out a steak I like and ask the butcher to please grind it into ground beef. The butcher looked at me and said with disbelief of my request "But, this is a perfect steak, why do you want to ruin it by grinding it?"  My reply.."Because, I want the perfect hamburger out of this perfect steak". His response solidified that the hamburger meat does not consist of quality beef. He knows cuz he grinds up all of the pieces and parts of beef scraps that make up the ground beef.

• Nikki P

Most grinders have about 1/4 pound of meat left from previous grinds.  Ask them to clean the grinder first, they will love you. Or better get a grinder attachment for a stand mixer or get a hand grinder that clamps to the counter. 

• John

I ask the butcher who grinds it.

Usually if it is Chuck..it will say Ground chuck.  If it is Round  it will say Ground Round.  If it is not identified it would be scraps from different cuts that have been ground together. 

What is important is the % of lean to fat.  So 80/20 would be 80% lean ground beef and 20% fat. 90/10 would be 90% lean beef and 10% fat. and the next common one would be 70/30 

What do you mean by “what kind”? It's beef. It won't be a particular cut of beef or from a particular breed of cattle.

For me, if the meat isn't labeled lean, regular, what ever, I generally won't purchase it. BUT~ if I have to have mince and it isn't labeled I will look at how much fat is in it. The less white spots in it, the less fat it is. 

nope. its beef so it all tastes the same. ground beef is trimmings left after butchering a steer and can be bits of tenderloin, to flank steak to rump roast to excess left on the bones..it will all taste the same.