Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 month ago

How to get rid of baby's father rights?

Florida. Both in 20's. I want the baby,the father moved on to another woman. We weren't together when I got pregnant. I've tried everything with the father to make it work. He's trying to bully me into getting an abortion or scare me into a miscarriage. I've offered him all rights to the baby and appointments. He wants nothing to do with me or the kid. He refuses to give up his legal rights. He said once the baby is born he'll take it from me to prove a point. He has moved and left me no forwarding address,and if I'm not agreeing with him he blocks my number. I've read some laws and,they apparently don't approve of terminating rights easily. I have very little support and low income,so it'll look bad for me being a single mom. I just don't want to risk him taking our kid from me,that he doesn't even want. I'm willing to do shared custody but he's not. He's said no point in appointments or custody for something that won't exist. He gets mad when I ignore him,but dismisses me when I try because I'm not agreeing.

• LizB

He won't take the baby, it's all hot air to try to intimidate you. Even if in the future he hires a lawyer and acts like he's going to try to get full custody, it won't get far because he'll quickly be informed that unless he can prove you are "unfit," he is very unlikely to get primary or full custody. The fact that you're low-income and unmarried is not enough to declare you "unfit" in this day and age. 

That said, you cannot force him to terminate his rights. While it's very unlikely that he could get primary custody, chances are very good that he could win visitation or even 50/50 custody if he chose to pursue it. What you need to do is consult with a family law attorney (some work on a sliding scale or even pro bono for low-income clients) and find out *exactly* what your rights are and what you can expect. I would also suggest blocking any further contact with him, but save any texts or messages or emails he sends you as documentation, should he continue harassing or threatening you. You should also avoid being alone with him from now on. If he absolutely insists on seeing you in person, have friends or family members there who can intervene on your behalf if he starts to act out.

He's not going to take the baby, and he's not going to fight for custody. He's just threatening that to get you to do what he wants.

You can have the baby, and then you go to court and file for court-ordered child support. They'll make him take a DNA test, and when it shows the baby is his, they'll mandate that he pay child support. If he doesn't, they can garnish his wages or put him in jail. That's unlikely though.

Child support will be about $100 a week, perhaps. It's enough for the child but not really enough.

Now, you have to ask yourself if you really want to be associated with this jerk for the next 18 years? He's going to hassle you repeatedly. He's going to disappear. Some future girlfriend of his might decide to play house with your child and then he'll fight for custody. Also, and this is scary, he could decide to threaten your life. Google "pregnant woman dies" and you'll see that a leading cause of death is to be murdered by the man who got them pregnant. You've said enough here that this guy sounds scary. If it's not too late for an abortion, you can have one and then you don't have to raise a child in stress and poverty, you can go on with your life and find a good man.

Some therapy might help to figure out your choices. An abortion clinic can refer you to a therapist who will talk about all three choices: abortion, adoption, or raising a child alone. At some point, therapy might help you figure out why this guy seemed like a good idea in the first place.

Good luck to you.

• Edna

I assume you're single and you're talking about your boyfriend and not about your husband. If so, your boyfriend has no rights at all regarding the baby.

According to the law, a single woman has full and total custody of her child from the moment it's born, and she is in total and complete control of what happens to the child and its upbringing afterward.

Your boyfriend can't take your child away from you. If he wants custody of the child, he'll have to go to Court and prove to the Court  that you're an unfit mother.

I am scared and unsure of what to do. I asked my question differently because of new information. I can't find my old post to update it. I am not a lawyer and never been in this situation before. I'm sorry if my questions count as "trolling". I'm sorry if I repeat myself sometimes. It seems no one can really give me a straight answer. So I thought to try the internet and see others opinions. I'm not attention seeking,just lost on what to do. If I can find my old post and delete it I would. I usually just keep this up in my browser so I don't lose the page.

I would stop interacting with him unless you have a way to document all conversations; save any text messages and/or emails he has sent. He will not be legally able to take away the baby unless there's damn good reason, and you'd know if you were that amount of trouble that you were risking your right to raise your child. You have no obligation to continue contacting him, if he's threatening you, you have the right to not respond to him if he's asking for information. Right now, just stop contacting and responding to him, prepare yourself for motherhood. Speaking with an attorney might be a wise idea, but generally speaking father's might get an hour or two of visitation per week while a child is an infant and you can request for that visitation to be supervised if it comes to it. 

Your trolling attempts are getting more desperate.  Not getting the attention you crave?

You might want to try harder, this story is not convincing at all. You need to get a hobby and stop asking this question over and over. 

He has no rights until the family court establishes paternity with a DNA test .....

Btw, you have already asked this question many times already 😉