Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

I applied for Maryland unemployment two months ago and still haven't gotten a card. What do I do?

I applied when I got furloughed on the 8th of April and have followed up with my weekly certifications ever since. 7 weeks later, I still haven't gotten a card. I lost all my savings barely paying some of my bills and now I'm completely broke. I checked online multiple times, and it says I'm eligible, but I still haven't gotten the card and the website says that no payments have been made to me either. I try to call but they're always busy. I don't know what to do anymore, I haven't eaten in two days and I'm afraid I won't ever see the money. I never got a stimulus check either. What do I do?

Log back into your unemployment website and look for a section called "report wages" or something like that.  Most unemployment requires that you go into the website and report whether or not you've received any wages and if you are back to work or not-usually once a week.  If you haven't done any reports, the system will not generate pay for you.

Keep checking the email you have linked to that site.  That's where they send the reminders of info that is due/required.

Being "eligible" for unemployment and actually receiving money are different.

What does it say your "award amount" is?  This is that amount that you are receiving.  If this is more than $0, attempt to call the unemployment office.  If you can't get through, contact your state congress person (not federal) for assistance.

Also, most communities have resources to help with pandemic aid.  Read your local paper or call your city council person to see what assistance is available.  In my city a lot of the neighbors have tables out with extra food and things that people can pick up for free. 

Have you been looking for a job?  Getting a job is the only thing that is going to give you any kind of long term security. 

• Michael1 month agoReport

My award amount is about $300. The unemployment office doesn't answer though, I've been trying to call for weeks and never got through. I'll look into those resources, thank you

• martin

There is a number to call regarding the EDD Card.  Call that number.  Or call the Bank of America itself, who are in charge of the card.  Make sure you list 3 places you applied each week, on your bi-weekly claims.  Go on the EDD Card website and click to request a new card.  Call Social Services where you live and tell them of your emergency, asking for help with food.

• Michael1 month agoReport

I tried calling the number, but it just gives me options to replace it or check the balance. I tried choosing to replace it, but it says my account is invalid or inaccessible. Thank you