How can I manage my IBS?

I have tried medication, dietary changes and even therapy to manage my stress and the way I think. Nothing helps. What’s left to do?

I drink a bottle of kefir every few months. It has made a big difference in my IBS.

If it’s not because you got your gallbladder removed it could be for other reasons. Like maybe your intestinal flora is not balanced. If you try taking probiotic supplements that might help. I wouldn’t go with the medication because that could make it worse depending on the side effects. You have to remember that your digestive system is intimately connected with your emotions. And your intestinal flora if not balanced can actually affect your emotions. That’s why I was recommending Trying a good quality probiotic supplement. Because if you can get your gut health straightened out it also would have an effect on your brain. This is already scientifically proven because of the vagas nerve which connects the brain with the digestive tract. Signals travel back-and-forth from the digestive track to the brain and vice versa.

• Hi ! I have IBS as well so I think I can help. I have IBS and it's mostly the constipation type of IBS. What really helps me is eating a really healthy diet with a ton of fiber like avocados ( I eat a half an avocado a day), I eat wheat bread, I eat healthy bulky proteins like chicken breasts, and so on. Also..drinking a lot of water helps me as well as getting a good amount of physical activity. I have anxiety so to get rid of it or reduce it, I listen to music or do something relaxing that I like. I hope I helped! 

probiotics and accupuncture

Maybe try lactose-free or dairy-free or soy-based products or almond milk

• LAN

Well whatever you do don't talk to a doctor about it.  After all why would you want a medical professional to weigh in?

I'll tell you about something you might not have heard about in therapy, although more and more therapists are adopting it. You've probably heard people talking about meditation, and you might wonder what good it does to sit and do nothing for  10 minutes. The thing is, a lot of people are talking about meditation as part of a lifestyle change that involves the use of mindfulness in daily life.

Mindfulness apps have become very popular. There's one you can use for free called Mindful Life Project. It was made for children so its great for beginners.

What I'm talking about is traditional Asian practices called mind-body methods - meditation, controlled breathing, and slow body movement like tai chi exercise. A good habit is responding to moments of stress by slowing your breathing. The more you use slow breathing the better you feel.

Slow, careful movement is your friend. Don't rush if you don't have to.

This answer has details about a mind-body program recommended by two psychiatrist and other things that are good for stress . The video is a talk by a psychologist who has used controlled breathing to treat PTSD.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvli7NBUfY4

Youtube thumbnail

&t=28s

Talk with your gastroenterologist and therapist.

• Tavy

I live with it, instead of fighting it accept it's part of you.

Mine improved as I got older.