What's with the tapping noise I've been hearing in my room? ?

For the last few days now I've been hearing a tapping noise that's been keeping me awake. It keeps going on for a few seconds, pausing, and resuming, for hours. I can't find a source and I've tried everything. 

It starts up around 5am, often wakes me up, and doesn't go away until after I've gotten out of bed, which has been after 9. Here's the thing, though. When I actually get out of bed, it stops. And doesn't happen again until really early in the morning the next day. 

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to get rid of it? 

while I was awake @1am at my desk, I heard it again. First time I've heard it while not in bed

It sounded like it was coming from behind the door on the opposite side of the room, which I can't see from the angle I'm facing when at my desk. I went over to the door to check it out, & it stopped. Then I heard it again, from near the desk.

I went back to the desk. It stopped again. I heard it a few minutes later while still at the desk, still sounding like it was from behind me.

I'm freaked out now

It sounds like you could be hearing a woodpecker. Woodpeckers peck for two reasons...to communicate with other birds, sometimes during mating season. And, to peck away at wood that contains insects to eat.