HELP my wifi is being hacked what do I do?

My wifi is being hacked by someone in Virginia or so it says Im in Upstate NY I need help ASAP please!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You used a strong passwoard. and block the haker devices. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Sweet dreams.Wifi does not hit even 100 ft,Mostly times much less. Sleep calm.

• Terry
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

WRONG! I can get it from a half mile away with a grid parabolic antenna on a rotator and an amplifier above my rooftop. NO problem.

• 1 month ago

How do you know that the wifi is being hacked?

First, change the password for the wifi network.Then go into the setting of your router you can see all the computers that have attached to your network.  Normally you can block any of those computers from being able to get on your network.  Find any strange computers and block them.  (As each router is different, you will need to either consult the manual or call the manufacturer for instructions on how to do this.)

Your router will have an IP address (usually 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1) configured in the router's settings.  Change the last number in that address to a random number between 2 and 254.  Any hacker will now have to guess that number to get back into your network.  Most hackers will try "0" and "1" and then move on to another easier target.

Most router also give you the ability to block EVERYTHING from accessing your network, and then you manually add only the devices that you want to get on your network.  That is extreme, but it keeps everyone except you off your network.

• 1 month ago

What makes you think that?  

Wi-Fi is very localized (maximum range is 100' from your router).  Don't confuse Wi-Fi with your Internet access account.  Point being it's not possible for someone in Virginia to access your "Wi-Fi", the signal doesn't reach that far.

Did you get an email message(s) from your service provider that someone in Virgina attempted to access your account.  If yes, then what you received is most likely a phishing attempt.  Whatever you do, DO NOT click on any link in that email.  Manually enter your service providers customer website address (URL) into your browser and login to your account.  Once in your account change your password to something strong.  A strong password is greater than 10 characters in length and includes upper case and lower case letters, numbers and symbols (any of !,@,#,$,%,^,&,*).  If you need more help, contact your Internet service providers support, they can tell you specifically what you need to do.

To get technical help it's important that you use the right terminology.  It would be impossible for someone greater than 200 (feet) from your Wi-Fi router to hack your Wi-Fi.  Understand that Wi-Fi is not your Internet account/service - they are two separate things.  Wi-Fi is a medium that enables transportation, like a road is to a car.  If someone was trying to steal your car and you called the police and say someone is trying to steal the road they would likely be confused.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Further to the correct information offered by Anonymous, make sure you make a secure password. i.e. one that contains upper case (Capital) letters, lower case letters, numbers, and symbols such as, ! " £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + } { [ ] # @ ' : ; < > , ?.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Change the password on your wifi

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.