Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

True or not, people simply do not care to get to know new friends/new people anymore? Are we becoming so disinterested we simply don’t care?

Lily your reply is a personal rant and not an answer..

No trolls

People do care it's just that owing to our digital culture they're more likely to want to meet new people online instead of in person. 

Ultimately, this comes down to personal choice.  Some people enjoy the select group of friends in their lives, and have little interest in meeting new faces or do so infrequently.  These people care and are often more comfortable with many acquaintances, but hold dear their smaller group of friends.  Equally, some people thrive on meeting new faces on a regular basis and they enjoy the extended group and constantly changing friendship groups in their lives.  These people also care and it is that attitude that creates more friendships, regardless of their depth.

some people might care

Not true  at least not for me.

Nonsense, people are still people. But texting instead of SPEAKING TO PEOPLE face to face makes it much, much harder than it used to be to make new friends.

• JuanB

True.  I have moved around to a couple small "friendly" towns where everyone claims to know everyone.  And visits to other similar places.  All the locals have had their friends since high school and don't try get to know more people.  Most of the people I talk to either are paid to talk to me (waitresses/cashiers/mechanics etc) or I am paid to talk to them (anyone at work).  If someone strikes up a conversation otherwise, it become pretty clear to me immediately that they are new to town.

• Lily

I'm pretty sure this phrase sounds familiar to you: "I already have my tight nit group of friends, and I really don't care to get to know other people/make more friends." I've heard this more times than I can count. You know what? You're a person too, why not try to be your own friend? 

That's what I did and I had more fun actually taking the time to get to know what my real hobbies are (group think sometimes gets in the way of discovering this part of yourself), what I'd rather spend my own money on, which movies I want to see (I legit had an old "friend" tell me at one point that I didn't have a right to choose which movie we went to see because I didn't work at the movie theater some of them worked at) so I started going by myself and I like it even more. They were upset with me because I have a higher paying job than they did. So they used the fact that they worked at the theater and I didn't against me. 

I even had a friend once who wanted to text all day every day and I just realized how much more time I have to myself without them interfering with everything. They would even invite themselves over to my place though they specifically knew I had other plans that day. They just wanted me for themselves no matter what I had going on. 

As you can see, it takes a while to actually find good people. I think people are hesitant on making friends sometimes because maybe they've had similar experiences with people I've mentioned above. Remember: Just because someone wants to be your friend, doesn't mean they are a good person. Be a little cautious while still being open minded if other people want to be a part of your life. 

Not true, and no we're not.

• Oh no, this is false. People still deeply care and are interested in making new friend, and making connections. I think the problem is, we are confused how to bridge gaps and make friendships happen. I feel like you have to collectively be in some kind of group in order to have interactions and if you don't, won't or can't be in a group effort where friendships can be formulated, then it won't happen. For example, being an exchange student, during schooling where you are forced to interact anyway, joining some kind of off hours classes for hobbies like art class. I don't feel like we make friends like we used to do decades ago so though decades have passed people are still in the rough of knowing how to bridge friendships. We don't have history to turn to, to say, this is how you do it. It used to be that just exiting your home and saying hello to everyone will eventually get you invited to do something, we can't do this anymore. People have trust issues and the world is not that safe anymore to be so random and open so that is why people are confused on how to make friendships. Groups are the way, I feel. 

Sadly yes, phones make it worse.