Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

All 8 cores on my i7 10700k reach around 99c when benchmarking? Is there a problem here?

It's not overclocked. 

I'm using a Masterair g200p, do I need to upgrade to a liquid cooler?

there was a dime shaped area where paste was missing, so I fixed it. I'm still getting hot temps in cinnnebench, but on battlefield 5 the hottest a core got was 83

im gonna try a better cooler. 

I just upgraded my cooler and the highest temp is 68c now! yay!

The 10700k consumes around 230w while pulling a stress or benchmark test..... like Cinebench r15 or r20. Your cooler might be good for 125w to maybe 150w at the most. Your cooler is outclassed by the 10700k. You'd be able to cooler a smaller CPU like the Core i5-9400, i7-7700, or something like the Ryzen 5 2600 with the cooler you have.... not an 8-core, 16-thread CPU like the 10700k.

The 125w TDP number Intel is feeding people is a lie. The 10700k consumes in the ballpark of 125w if all cores are running at 3.8ghz, which isn't going to happen.

Here's a quick rundown of aircoolers and AIO coolers. There are people who swear by big aircoolers like the Noctua D15, Thermalright Le Grand Macho, or the Dark Rock Pro 4, but these large heatsinks are competitive against 240mm AIO coolers. 280mm and 360mm AIO coolers offer the best cooling, but the fans usually run at a higher RPM which means they're not always quiet. Also, these large AIO coolers aren't that far ahead of the big heatsinks. The standard single 120mm AIO coolers are worthless. Unfortunately, if you want a cooler that can handle the 230w 10700k, then you'll want to consider a twin-tower or very large Heatsink or you'll want to consider a 280mm AIO cooler like the NZXT x73 or Corsair h115i.

• P

Quite simply Masterair g200p is a junk heatsink.  The Intel stock cooler would even do a better job.  If you really need a low profile cooler probably better to get a hybrid liquid cooled unit and mount the fan on the outside.  You also just want to apply an application of thermal paste in the middle and let the heat-sink spread it as it presses down.  You don't want to spread it around ahead of time otherwise you will get air bubbles.  The fact you are saying you saw a section missing means you are likely not following the thermal paste application directions, but are just doing your own thing.   I know it may seem logical to you to spread it around like some type of peanut butter sandwich, but thermal paste doesn't work well that way.  Most of the heat is generated just in the center and if you get even a small air bubble there your temperature will skyrocket. 

yes.  99c is too high.  check your thermal paste and cooling system

• David

Far too hot it should be no more than 80c at full load. You need a better cooler

3 minute egg soft boiled will do fine at that temperature.

• Lv 7

noep. that's the perfect temperature to deep fat fry ham (and your CPU).