Can I file a police report with no evidence?

I was made executor of my Grandma's estate.  There was an antique chandelier in the living room.  Great Grandpa had it on the farm pre-electric days, it originally ran on oil but my Grandpa had it converted to electric when he put it in his house in town.  This morning I go in the house and there's a ceiling fan where the chandelier was and the chandelier is gone.  I started checking around and Grandma's silver flat ware was replaced with cheap table service.  I remember helping Grandma polish it so I know it was silver.  Grandma's Wagner cast iron skillets were replaced with a set of Lodge cast iron skillets.  Grandma loved her cast iron and hers were smooth as silk.  These didn't appear to even have been seasoned.  Grandma's had an old singer sewing machine that's gone, Grandpa's old Steven's double barrel shotgun is gone and there's now a bookshelf where the Grandfather clock once was.

I'm supposed to have the only keys to the house.  Family tells me it's my imagination and there's no sign of forced entry.  I don't know when it would have happened, but they did a real nice job installing the ceiling fan with separate wall switches for the fan and light.

How do I make a police report on what I remember used to be there?  Should I tell the police what my dad said my uncle said?  

• L

It sounds like a lot of things were replaced at some point in time.....therefore, there's nothing you can do about it.

You are the executor. Basically the one responsible for disbursing what is left of the estate. A thief USUALLY WILL NOT GO THROUGH THE TROUBLE OF REPLACING STUFF WITH OTHER STUFF.  They just take and are gone. They got something and left nothing. That is FASTER.

. You got to be Logical here.

The sewing machine is NOT EVEN A GOOD BOAT ANCHOR.  Used to find them everywhere.

Cast iron replaced with cast iron?No logic there in doing that. 

Bookshelf instead of a clock? Why go through that effort?

Steelware instead of silverware? Again, they needed something to eat with so an exchange happened.(at sometime you were not there.)

Maybe Granny decided to have an apraiser come through and look and sold the stuff there and then to pay for the caskets.

What is there, is there.(if you have thieves in the family so be it...otherwise exhume grand dad and granny and see if they took it with them)

What you remember and what there actually is - is 2 different things.  Not going to be of interest to the police because you got no serial numbers or identification or anything. Just fuzzy logic.

Police will not be interested.

The biggest issue with this story is that you've already hypothesized pilfering the house for valuable items before turning it over to be sold to reimburse Medicare. Another issue is that without proof these things were in the house (like pictures of the fam around the table, underneath that chandelier, using the silver) you got nothing to prove they ever owned these things at all. 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

That said, selling the items to get maximum profit takes time and effort. That's why people turn households over to auction to be sold. Truthfully, if the Grands were that financially savvy and had hung onto valuable items, wouldn't they have been living in something better than a $20,000 shanty and relying on Medicare?  The silver might have sentimental value. Treadle sewing machines are a dime a dozen, and you're not going to ship it anywhere, so you'd have to have found a buyer locally. Ditto the shotgun, which you may sell privately to a local buyer, but you'd have to engage (and pay) a licensed firearms dealer (actually two, one local to you, one in the state you sent it to) if you sold it out of state. 

Housemate says "Grandma and Grandpa were too proud to ask for money and sold off the more valuable items for money." My money's on Housemate's explanation.

Check Craigslist immediately.  Thieves are not so bright, so you might find some of the items listed.  Also, if you are near a large metro area, look in the classified ads if you are in an area which doesn't use Craigslist so much.

If you do see anything, involve the police promptly.  At least they'll be able prevent resale until you can collect evidence of theft.

If there are others with access, visit them and look around to see if they have them.  Maybe it wasn't theft but some deal made with your grandmother.

You're really asking about two different things:

1. You can file a police report about theft without "proof."  Whether the police will put any effort into investigating is a separate question.

2. If the house and belongings are insured under a home-owner's policy, you may be able to file a claim, BUT you will have to have some proof that the items existed.  There are no family photos or recipes or itemized lists, you may be out of luck.  

Change the  locks immediately and remove any other valuables from the house. Take a video of every room. Your family is gas lighting you. They know fill right well that one of or several of them were there to exchange items for immations. 

But, I must say that someone went through an awful lot of trouble to replace that light fixture with a fan. That sounds a bit odd that someone would do that.

Yes, I would file a theft report....and send a copy to the Probate Court as well. Documenting theft in matters of an estate is important  especially so you are not accused of withholding assets.

A light fixture and a grandfather''s clock are going to be hard to hide among family because it will be in their home to see in the future. Unless the thief sold those items.

• a1 month agoReport

Probably sold the 'nice stuff' because they were too proud to ask for help.

• Rick

'evidence' is needed for the Courts, not to fine a report .............

try small claims in your jurisdiction,,find the rules of evidence,assess the value to you of the chandelier as executor,,and other items of value in the estate,,serve all others having access to the residence with summonses.. costs are involved,,you might scan judge judy on the subject  you tube carries pages of case stacks in estate law,relatives,,etcetc

This is a clever little made up story, but it is definitely MADE UP. Cute idea though--you should write it out and publish it. 

You can file a police report, but there would likely be nothing for them to follow up on unless there is some evidence of entry or who may have done it.  If it was prior to your grandmother's passing, then the question becomes whether she knew and allowed it.