17 years old with no job experience. ?

My parents are getting on to me about getting a job before I go to college. With having no experience and the cronavirus going on right now, places like fast food and the car wash are the only realistic jobs I can see for myself. I would also like to note that I graduated with my high school diploma and AA degree in May 2020. The high school I went to allowed you to get your AA degree as well as your diploma. I still have yet to get my physical diploma though. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me?  

Thanks.

Sorry if I worded my question wrong, I DO NOT think I am too good for a fast food job because I have my AA. I only stated that because I figured employers would be more likely to hire me over another teen. 

People of this age do not have job experience

Involve your parents, friends and other family members into finding you a job ASAP.

Anyone is a business owner?

Anyone knows a business owner? Etc.

Reccomendations from people do wonders in squeezing a young mind in to get a good starting career point in life.

It is so sad that, right now, the entry level 'jobs of choice' for people your age have dried up.  A lot of fast food places and small retailers have or will be about to declare bankruptcy.

There are no summer camp jobs.  There are no movie theater jobs.  There are no server jobs.

At my company we not only have a hiring freeze...we have discontinued one whole department.  So not only are we not going to hire the people we planned...the people in that department...well 2 have been moved to other parts of the company but the other 8 are now unemployed.  AND we are not going to fill the 6 positions that we were working hard to fill...back in February.

Normally, at this time of year, I'd be bringing in a couple High School seniors to do temp work during staff vacations.  THIS YEAR...I'm bringing in a couple of people who were laid off in April.  Because they have experience.

So, I am so very sorry.  You keep applying for every job you think you can handle and there is a 10% chance you will get at least 5 to 10 hours a week.  

But in reality....there are 100 people applying for every job you apply for and 95% of them have more experience than you and they will not be leaving for college or to finish HS at the end of the summer.

Unless you have some very specific skills, you will be darned lucky to get even a job cleaning toilets when the unemployment rate is almost 25%.

Next...an AA degree is an Associate in Arts. So...what you look for is a job where your Associate Degree in the Art of????? will be useful.

Is it in the Art of Accounting?  if yes, you can get a job as a bank teller...and hopefully move up to manager in 5 years.

Is it in the Art of Computer Science?  If yes you can get a job in Web Security and  you will keep moving up as long as you keep your skills fresh.

Is it in the Art of Auto Repair?  If yes, you can walk into most dealerships and get a paid internship that will turn into a job.

Is it in the Art of English Literature?  If yes, you will have a lot of literature to think about as you flip burgers and clean toilets.

Remember...in an economy where almost 25% of the people are unemployed and another 18% are underemployed...employers have their pick of the smartest and brightest and most talented.  And that means ...if the bank is hiring tellers...if the Auto repair place is hiring mechanics...if the cleaning service is hiring cleaners...they will hire the older an more experienced people first.  So an unemployed CPA is going to get the bank teller job you applied for....an out of work Ford Mechanic is going to get the entry level auto repair job you applied for.....and the guy who has a PhD in English literature is going to get the job cleaning the toiltes that you applied for.

All you can do is apply for every job within 30 miles ..and pray.

So, why not get a fast food or car wash job? Do you think you’re too good for that since you have an AA?

• Sandy

everybody starts at the bottom. my first job was at an ice cream store. you may think the job is beneath you, but it's good, hard rewarding work. it will teach you discipline, new skills, being on time and other intangibles. Dominoes is hiring, Amazon is hiring. those jobs will give you the experience you need for your next step up the ladder.

• Judy

ok, so apply for fast food and car washes.

It would be difficult if we were not in a pandemic with millions of adults out of work.

Apply in person, make a good impression and if they don't hire right away 

don't be afraid to ask again in a few weeks. Grocery stores and pizza delivery are also options.

Your lack of experience is not a big impediment. These are entry level jobs. And 80-90% have no problem with them.  Most would prefer 18-19+ but I hired a handful of 16-17 year olds in my 2 years as a manager. I hired most on the spot if they applied when I was there.

My niece applied at a Cajun steamer and the assistant manager said the manager would call. He did not. She went back in a week, the assistant hired her on the spot.

That said, eat in restaurants do not need anywhere as many as they used to. So they are not a good place to try right now.

• Ann

Most 17 year olds don't have work experience.