Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

I feel like a coward, why didn't I stand up and say anything?

I recently met this guy he is a friend of my gym instructor friend the next day we met he asked me some money I didn't hesitate to give him as we share mutual friendship with the instructor & he promised me will repay in a week time. Since he didn't pay on time I started asking him to pay as I don't like breaking promises though I knew it's below 100 $. My stupidity I ask some of these guy whether they want to eat out in a restaurant they all came with me including this guy but I didn't pay the bill I only paid mine later I knew they didn't have enough money thus they collected from each other. But I never had intentions to pay the bill in the first place but they thought I would I knew this the next day when I met them and I asked this guy for money again he was screaming and shouting he accused me of stinginess & said  he wanted to beat me cz of not paying in the restaurant. I didn't react to any of his accusations I remained silent here. 

I am so ashamed of myself and just feel terrible for not standing up against this guy screamed at me in front of others. Does he have right here to do so? The chances of this situation physically escalating were about zero % so there was no threat there. I don't know whether my anxiety is the problem here since I am socially anxious. 

Now I feel terrible and cowardly....how to overcome this? Help? 

Now I write off his debt since I knew he is jobless and poor but my ego hurts and disturb me so much. I have been in to fight and altercation but this time I didn't standup 

You need to stop lending strangers money. Having a mutual friend doesn't mean anything. DON'T LEND HIM ANYMORE MONEY. 

He was yelling and getting angry because he is a low life bottom feeder, and you called him out on his pathetic behaviour. You have every right to refuse to give him anything and to ask for the money back. 

You updated saying "I write off his debt"....!!!! Are you seriously that stupid? You must be joking. Why would you write off someone elses (a strangers debt) ???

I want to offer advice, but common sense is what you need. 

go to the other guys and tell them that he borrowed money and will not pay you back, so do not lend him any money. then ask them what they thought of him doing all that yelling