Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

How can I keep my car from getting totaled?

I drive a 2019 VW Jetta base model with 15,900 miles on it. Last week, I was brake checked resulting in a at-fault fender bender that messed my car up pretty badly but the other drivers car had some scratching and a crack in the bumper (first accident ever). I received a call this morning from the body shop saying that there was more extensive damage than what was originally thought and that my car could be declared a total loss. I need my car for college (5.5 hours away), I can't afford to get another one on my own, and my parents are more than likely not going to buy me another one after this. Is there any way I can keep my car from getting totaled? 

Yeah, quit tail-gating people

• car253

No way to keep the car from being totaled.   The auto insurance  company decides that, not you.

• car253

Well the Insurance company will pay off your current car loan.  Then maybe you can look for another car. 

ITS your fault.. A BRAKE CHECK is still your fault for speeding or following to close for speed and conditions or just not paying attention..  Call Your Insurance company, pay your higher costs and pay attention next time and maybe slow down to a SAFE FOLLOWING speed in case the one in front of you stops again.

• May

No way.....................Just use the money you get from totaling the car for a different car

Totalled from a fender bender?  I'm very suspicious of this. Take it to another mechanic and see if they concur about the findings. I can't believe a nearly brand-new car with low miles could be totalled from such an accident. Get another estimate. THEN if they say the same thing, you'll have to deal with your insurance company. You may be eligible for a rental/loaner until your car is either fixed or replaced.  

(I "used to" drive a now totaled out 2019 VW Jetta before I learned how the brakes work). Time to get a used Hyundai you can pay cash for, you won't be able to get full coverage now until you're 25 without paying in blood so you'll be driving a clunker. What did Mom and Dad say? My guess is you're on your own to get the best 10 year old car you can find in the $2,500 drivable range and pay cash so you only need liability coverage. Start paying attention when you drive so you don't smack up another car lol. I'll bet you were on the phone texting or needlessly preoccupied and didn't see traffic because you were distracted. This is why a parent should never cosign to buy a teenager a new car, the down payment just went down the toilet and you're whining about your mistake. I hope you put some $ down or had gap coverage, you may still end up owing the bank on the loan after depreciation is deducted.

If you have collision insurance, you are better off having the vehicle totaled.  If repairable, it could be tied up in a body shop for months.  With the total loss settlement, you can buy another vehicle.  However, if the car is totaled, you can buy back the salvage, apply for a salvage certificate, have repairs done with after market and used parts to cut costs then apply for a reconstructed vehicle title.  Good luck with that.

Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.

Have the shop quote it with cheap aftermarket or used parts.

You will have to negotiate with your insurance company.  If they decide that it is totaled, they'll make an offer on what they say is the value of the car before the accident.  If you accept, the car is theirs and they salvage it.  But you can dicker with them,  they'll go with what costs them the lesser:  what you offer, or what they'll give you less what they can sell it for.

The accident will go on your record - and the history of the car.......you don't want it titled as a Salvage car which kills the value . . . . and they probably won't let you keep it unless it is safe to drive including workable air bags.

And keep in mind that your insurance premiums will be going up for at least 2 years.

You can't ! The insurance company makes the decision.😉