Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

When I am checking my car's oil engine, and I can't differentiate between colours, does it mean that my oil is good?

Or if there is any other explanation for checking oil, I would appreciate it! Thanks

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

A fresh change of engine oil will appear nearly clear on the dipstick. The older the car the quicker the oil will appear brown on the dipstick (which is a good thing) as the additives in the oil are cleaning the inside of the motor. Newer cars require full synthetic motor oil which will remain more clear for a longer period of time because the previous change of full synthetic motor oil has strong additives and the clearances inside the motor are tighter.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • M.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Checking the car's oil engine.

Can't differentiate between colours.

Can you see an oil LEVEL?

• 1 month ago

Colour isn't everything, for instance new oil in a diesel will very quickly turn black.  That's normal, as it's highly detergent and it means it's doing its job. Get someone to dip yours and tell you what he's looking for.

• david
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It's important to keep your oil at the proper level.  If it gets low, it wears faster too.  The color is an indicator of how contaminated it is.  If it looks yellow to syrup colored, it's usually pretty good.  Obviously the darker it gets the worse.  Also you can run it between your fingers when you check it.  If it's viscous and smooth, that's a good sign.  When it gets worn out, it feels thinner, less viscous, and possibly gritty if it gets real bad. You definitely want to change it before it gets like that!

Source(s): 900,000 miles of oil changes on my vehicles, never had an engine failure!
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Basically, the lighter the better.  You want it to look like maple syrup.  As time goes on, it gets darker and darker.  Just because it's very dark, doesn't mean it's bad.  Mileage matters more.

• 1 month ago

Change oil according to your owners' manual no matter what the color.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

NO, IT MEANS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR. PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Check the level.  Top up if required.  Change the oil and oil filter according to the interval recommended in your owner's manual.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The color of the oil means very little unless you see sparkles in it. Change it according to the manufacturer maintenance schedule and keep it topped up.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your entire responsibility is to check for the proper level and change it according to the recommended intervals. The color of the oil, to the consumer, means nothing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.