jared
jared asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

What is a realistic expectation for DeShaun Watson and the Houston Texans ?

9-7, one and done in the playoffs.

Wild card, playoffs. They just have too much competition in the AFC to get any further.

They are going to be around 8-8.  The coach might lose the team making their record worse.  I don't see anything special about this team right now.  J.J. is another year older and DW doesn't have his #1 Wr.  Looks like they are going the other way.

Now that the Patriots don't got Tom Brady no more 

Maybe a division win, but not a Super Bowl.

I expect Watson to eat watermelon, smoke weed, and get arrested before he's traded for a 5th Round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

He'll be out of football by 2025.

As for the Texans, they've been incredibly lucky in recent years and that lucky streak is about to come to a screeching halt. 

They could be competitive, but they seem a little thin, so it's a very fluid situation. I think the average means they will not be good down the stretch. 6-10

• Cu Tie

My expectation remains that DeShaun Watson will be traded before the start of the 2021 NFL season. If the Houston Texans traded away DeAndre Hopkins because they could not afford to pay him less than $20 million per year, there is no way they can pay Watson the over $40 million per year he is going to command. At some point, the Texans are going to have to try to get as much as they can get for Watson.

Tough call.  The last two years were pretty consistent.  His int% went up a little more than I'd like, and I'm not in love with his fumble rate, but he's young and for a young guy, I think he does pretty well at avoiding turnovers.   His y/a went down as well which is a touch concerning.

But the loss of DeAndre Hopkins...no, let's not beat around the bush...the inexplicable and AWFUL decision to GIVE AWAY DeAndre Hopkins is devastating.  We're talking about one of the very best WRs in the NFL for a washed up RB who can't stay healthy, a 2nd and 4th round pick?  

Bill O'Brien consistently gets his undertalented teams into playoff contention, but a big part of why they're undertalented is that he has too much personnel power.  The Texans will NEVER amount to anything as long as he has that power.

Anyway, the loss of Hopkins means Watson holds the ball more, meaning more sacks, more fumbles, and more chances to get hurt.