Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Non fiction book suggestions?

I want something for a layman that is a genuinely interesting read, no specific topic, just looking for new suggestions whilst in lockdown.

bluebellbkk, this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atul_Gawande#Books

He is still alive

Churchill was a good writer and wrote a lot of gripping history "The Gathering Storm" and if you like it read more of his writings. Another book about the 20th C is a great book about WWI "The Guns of August."  Instead of reading what other people wrote about Sigmund Freud read his little book "The Interpretation of Dreams, an interesting book on History is "The Decline of the West." by Oswald Spencer, An interesting book about art and education is Education Through Art by Herbert Read, People are always asking questions about Hitler and the Nazis a great book that is very detailed is "The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich.'  A tragic story is a book about the Warsaw Ghetto reads like a novel but based on fact "The Wall" There were two books written on the Pueblo incident the capture if a US spy ship by the North Koreans one by the Captain and one by the first Mate. They are out of print so you would have to find them with a second hand book search but they tell two totally different stories each blaming the other for a failure to act properly. The early famous **** about the environment which started the whole movement was "Silent Spring."  The famous book by a French woman who is an early pioneer in Feminism a very famous book "The Second Sex."  by Simone de Beauvoir 

• j153e

Likewise,

Nickel and Dimed;

The Hot Zone;

and, for lighter reads, travel and humor:

In a Sunburned Country;

Cod;

The Code of the Woosters;

The Great Divorce;

Code of Conduct;

Slaughterhouse-Five.

Any of the books by the late Dr Atul Gawande.

EDIT to add: Yes, that's him. I'm delighted to hear he's still alive, and am wondering now who I confused him with!His books are all excellent reads, medically based of course but at a level any educated person can understand, and jammed with interesting anecdotes from his own working life.

• I will echo Speed's suggestion of Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, by Barbara Ehrenreich and add Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century by Jessica Bruder which is about transient Americans - a very large group of people who travel the country for seasonal work at very low pay. They live in cars, vans, RV, whatever they can get. 

The two books were both incredibly insightful when they came out (I agree with Speed, Nickel & Dimed completely changed me) but beyond relevance right now. Many of the people who moved into their vehicles did so as a result of the last recession. I think it is a safe guess that tens of thousands more will be doing that now. And between coronavirus and the current US protests, it's imperative to understand the working poor in order for society to make their lives bearable. These two books will open your eyes.

Note: Nickel & Dimed was fairly well written, I didn't think Nomadland was at all, but they were absolutely worth ignoring that part and reading the whole books.

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

Fordlandia by Greg Grandin

Radio Priest by Donald Warren

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston

The Code Book by Simon Singh

Five Past Midnight in Bhopal by Dominique Lapierre

The Great Influenza by John Barry

The American Plague by Mary Caldwell Crosby

One Summer:  America, 1927 by Bill Bryson

Hitler's American Friends by Bradley Hart

Blitz Diary by Carol Harris

1968 by Joe Haldeman

Back to the Front by Stephen O'Shea

PTL by John Wigger

Overdressed by Elizabeth Cline

Swastika Nation by Arnie Bernstein

Super Sushi Ramen Express by Michael Booth

Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World". A book about science literacy and critical thinking.

• Speed

I have some I'm happy to suggest:

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, by Barbara Ehrenreich, in which a journalist goes deep undercover to experience and report on how the unskilled poor really live. It's a huge eye-opener about the systemic nature of poverty in a system designed to prevent escape. (It turned me from a decent tipper into an excellent tipper.) It's highly readable and entertaining.

Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris, a collection of wryly humorous essays about growing up odd and too smart for his own good, opening with his experience with an inexperienced school speech therapist attempting to minimize his lisp while he's learned to avoid words containing the letter S, so there's really no need.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach, about what happens to the human body in various circumstances that also cause death. Her tone is too aren't-I-shocking? for me, but the content is so fascinating that I enjoyed it in spite of it.