Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 month ago

What rights does the father have?

Boyfriend and I broke up. We stayed friends with benefits. Now I'm pregnant. He wants to abort,so he can move on with a new woman. I want to keep it. I've told him he has no responsibility to it,and I'm not asking anything out of him. He refuses to give up any rights to it,but doesn't want it. He's been trying to pursued me to abort it.

*Do I have to have him at appointments?

*Does he have to be there for when it's born?

*Do I have to put him on the birth certificate? He is absolutely the father no questions.

*What if he doesn't show up for the birth,do I still put him on the certificate?

I'm all for sharing and having him there,but he's not for any of it. He's threatened to take it from me because I won't abort. He has a better job and home than me,so that scares me that I could lose our kid. He's being so unreasonable. I offered him to sign his rights away,but he won't. I offered him to stay,he won't. He just wants it gone. 

This is for Florida.

• LizB

*Do I have to have him at appointments?

Nope. You have the right to medical privacy.

Nope. In fact you can specifically instruct the hospital to not even let him in as a visitor. YOU are the patient. Not him.

You don't have to, but you should be aware that not doing so doesn't really offer much benefit. If he wanted to get a paternity test and have the birth certificate amended with his name, he would have that right. Also if you file for child support or public benefits at any point, the father will have to be named and proven. 

This depends on where you live. Since you are unmarried, you may not be allowed to put him on the certificate until he signs and affidavit of paternity (there is typically a grace period for this to be done, since not all fathers are able to be present at the births of their children). If he does not do so willingly, a court-ordered paternity test can compel him to do so. But to learn what proper procedure is where you live, you'll need to contact a family law attorney in your area.

Also, don't be afraid that just because he has a bigger house and more money that he'll take the baby away. Some men like to threaten pregnant exes with that ("abort it or I'm going to take if from you!") but it's an empty threat. Even if your custody case went to court, judges generally don't remove a child from his/her mother unless the mother can be very clearly proven as unfit. Best your ex could hope for is 50/50, but since he clearly doesn't even want the kid, even that much is unlikely.

He is not required to come to appointments. If you want to have him there it's up to you. He cannot make you have him there.

He does not have to attend the birth. As with appointments, if you want him there, it's up to you. He cannot make you allow him to attend.

State laws vary with unmarried fathers. You will have to read up on your state law as to whether you can put his name on the birth certificate without his consent.  If possible, his name should be there because it is your child's legal record of birth, not of your relationship with his or her father.

*Document* all communication with him. *Document* his threats to take away the child. *Document* that he does not want to child to be born.  When you go to court for visitation, etc., it will help your case.

Once the baby is born the father has equal rights.