Would you take a 50% pay cut for this opportunity?

I currently work in HR and I'm unhappy with the work and the company. I don't support the leadership's decisions and don't enjoy being on the front-line of complaints and employee relations. The only thing that keeps me here is that I make a decent income. My salary is $65k which I live very comfortably on as a married 28 year old woman with no debt, student bills, etc.

I've been offered an opportunity as a Veterinary Receptionist at a growing animal hospital. The building is amazing, so clean and newly renovated. The team is small and they do team-building events once a month and seem to get along so well together. The stress would be drastically lower than my current job. But so is the pay... it's basically half my current income. I'd be taking a huge pay cut and lengthening my commute by an extra 15 minutes each way. But I'm so interested in this job !! I just have this gut feeling that I'll be happy here.

My husband is an engineer at the same company I currently work for and he makes a decent salary but he's also looking to leave because he's not happy at our company either. His line of work is so specialized that we'll likely have to relocate for a new opportunity for him, but we just bought a house so he said it will be at least 1-2 years before we actually move. I don't know if I should just stick it out at my current job for another couple years and be unhappy but make enough money or take a pay cut to be happier.

I should add that I'm financially responsible and have a lot of money in savings. I could easily afford the pay cut but the question is should I??

The veterinary field is extremely stressful. If you're doing it because you love animals and want an easy career, stay where you are.

How many hours do you work in HR and how has it been influencing your personality?

Are you growing or are you declining compared to when you started there?

Do you plan to start a family?

If you are good at what you do, if you like your job and results on your face, concider cut in hours.

If not, your job change will stimulate your husband's brain to move up faster.

Animal hospital would probably require you to get regular vaccine shots even if you are just working at the desk. Plus it usually gets dirty there pretty quickly... also smells because some animals can't hold it when they are sick.

• As much as I love dogs, I love what I do and I'm happy where I work and I'm well compensated for it. 

You have to decide what's best for you.

I think you should take the new job. Job satisfaction has a lot of pluses. You will have less stress and angst about the job--and that means a great deal. Pay isn't everything. If you can afford this, isn't your personal life more important than the money it's bringing in?  Being able to get up every day and go to a job you LOVE is worth a lot more than income. Think long-term here. Yes, your income is fine now, but how much is it going to support your mental health later? 

I would not unless you and your husband agree that you'll live on less money and you'll by happy in a job with no advancement opportunity. If all that is appealing to you, great! If not, then take some time to look for other professional opportunities at a variety of different companies. 

I'd suggest you ask the owners of this vet clinic what opportunities you might have for greater responsibility and pay down the line.  Is there a managerial role? Also ask about benefits. If both you and. your husband change jobs, what kind of health care coverage will you have? Are you okay with that coverage and cost?  The problem with being a receptionist at a vet is that the only think you are qualified for is to work at the front desk.  Many vets are now using online reservation systems, so you'd be answering the phone, checking patients in, and handling payments. You won't be working with animals or with the vets.  You'll be doing billing and paperwork.   

• Eva

If you think being a veterinary receptionist is a low stress job, you're wrong. It's very fast paced and you're dealing with people that are upset that their pet is ill. Emergency calls are especially stressful. If you have no background, learning all the terminology and actually being able to help people on the phone will be very stressful as well.  If you're contemplating moving in a year or two, it wouldn't be fair to the practice either as they'd just have gotten you trained and you'd be leaving. Stay where you are and save up as much money as you can in the next couple of years.  Look for something new when you get closer to your move.

50% pay cut would be pretty much a no go for me.

I'm going to repeat what I said to someone else in answering another question.

Money isn't any use to you if your job depresses you so much that you commit suicide.

If you need more money than a job pays, then you have to stay at a job that pays more.

But if you don't need the money, then go to a job that will keep you happy enough to stay alive long enough to use the money.

I say look for something else in your field. Almost nobody considers a 50% pay cut an opportunity.

We don't know what you did in HR....

But if you like to have any decision making control, being a receptionist isn't going to be a position for you.