Can a Caravan be lifted over a hedge? ?

Hiya, am about to commence a self build and wanna be on site. Just wondering if anybody knows the process you need to go through to lift a static caravan into the front garden in front of the house we are renovating but lift it over a hedge to get it in place? Is it even possible? I am in the south of England.

Many thanks 

It can be done, but it needs a crane and spreaders, strops and other equipment to do it and an operator who is experienced in this sort of thing.  Static vans can be flimsy and difficult to lift without damage, you may find some crane operators will decline to do it if they feel they can't do it safely and without damage. And it would cost you heavily. I, too, would suggest you remove the hedge.  I presume you have consent for doing this?

static caravans are extremely flimsy ...a crane operator would need you to sign you take responsibility ..and cost circa a grand ...and you need a permit first .....and im not sure you know what your doing ..world of difference between a self build and a renovation 

Why don't you simply remove the hedges, pull the caravan through the opening, and then replant the hedges?  That would cost you nothing but labor. Anything else you get to do this would end up being extremely expensive--you'd need a huge forklift or crane to pick up the caravan and drop it where you want it. Even then, you may end up killing the hedges. 

• Barry

Bear in mind whatever you do it has to come out again. You also need to speak to your local authority as they may need to grant permission for you to site a caravan.

I would take the hedge down as craning twice will cost an arm and a leg.

That sounds difficult and expensive. How big is the hedge? It might be better to dig up a section of the hedge carefully without damaging too much of the roots, and put it back as soon as you have pushed the caravan in. You would have to water it well every day in dry weather. 

(I have seen what happens to a caravan when you drop it, on an old episode of Top Gear). 

As far as I remember, a caravan is a number of camels that are laden with baggage, traveling in a group from one place to another. Maybe the camels could eat a hole in your hedge and then walk through?

Hire a crane.  Explain what you need lifted and ask if they've had experience lifting a caravan.  Go with the crane operator who has done it before.  This isn't as unusual an ask as you might think.

I presume you already own this caravan or are borrowing from someone as usually this is discussed at the purchasing stage and delivery is included in the price.  Depending on factors involved expect to spend between £500 - £1 000.  I'd be extremely suspicious of anyone charging much less than £500.  Also make sure that the set down area is all ready and that the crane operator (and banksman) is happy with it.