“The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.” ― Mahatma Gandhi?

what is the meaning of this quote

What people do ( to make money), and what many speak about doing the right, would solve the human caused problems. If the gap were closed.

In other words DO the right thing. As well as TALKING the right thing.

• John P

People never fully employ their abilities in life. If they did so, a lot more of our difficulties would be solved.

A saying with similar meaning is: "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".

The only thing possibly wrong with the quote is the Mahatma's belief that people are essentially good. Unfortunately, this could also imply that the evil should also strive to do their utmost to destroy the world. It's been said the civilization is a race between those who build and those who destroy. I know I'm a pessimist, but it looks to me like those who destroy are winning.

• Ludwig

Nothing that pontificating fraud and con-man said was of depth or meaning.

What we "do" is nothing compared to the capacity we have for doing more.  We would solve much of what is wrong with the world if we would use the capabilities we have; our potential is wasted.

I think it means if realize our true potential - we will be able to end crime and violence since our true potential is always altruistic and good 

Be curious and ask questions, the status quo brings no change. Without change there is no life.

We are all lazy slackers.

• We are not using our full capabilities