If I am not an American citizen and I want to adopt a newborn- 3 year old infant is it possible? I am not married nor have kids.?

I'm 21 and I found out that I won't be able to have kids at the young age of 18 years old. It crushed me and I still cry about it up to this day. Lately I've been looking into adoption, a newborn baby or a toddler. Ethnicity Latino or Caucasian. Now I've been doing some research and I saw that you have to do a home study and there are other steps to adopting a child. I don't live in the U.S and for me to actually be a U.S citizen I'll have to get married to one. Not really on my agenda right now. So what if I had a friend that is an American citizen who can adopt a kid for me am I allowed to take responsibility and take care of the child myself? I hope that came off right. 

You will have to adopt a child from the country that you live in. If you are not a American citizen, you cannot adopt a American child. 

• ariel

I don't know what the reason was for you but there are many women that a doctor told them they could not have children and then they did. Try to get a second opinion,  there might be treatments you can do to be able to have children.  Either way you are very young, I think you should go to college,  and enjoy life, and meet the love of your life and then think about children after you are ready. Im sorry you are going through this but there is no rush, if you are trying to have a baby to fill a void within yourself it will not be the right reason. I just think there is more to life than having children and you should enjoy the freedom you have right now, you will only be in your early twenties for a short time. Im sure you will be a great mom someday one way or another. 

• Gabrielle1 month agoReport

Thank you so much♥️

• LizB

"So what if I had a friend that is an American citizen who can adopt a kid for me am I allowed to take responsibility and take care of the child myself?"

That is a process known as "rehoming," and it is very frowned upon by adoption advocates and agencies because it's an extremely short step from human trafficking. Don't even try to go this route. 

If you want to find out the legalities of adopting within the US when you are a resident, you will have to start talking to agencies and possibly family law attorneys to learn what the process is. It's entirely possible that they would advise you that adopting within your home country would be easier, but you really do need an expert's opinion on this.

• Gabrielle1 month agoReport

Oh wow thanks so much for the advice. I don't want to be considered as a human trafficker. But I understand thanks so much 

There are no universal adoption laws.....

And you seem clueless .

• Gabrielle1 month agoReport

Can you elaborate on that?

• helene

Why do you have to adopt an American child if you don't even live here? Adopt in whatever country YOU live.

• helene

Bull. There is some reason you don't think you'll qualify to adopt legally, so you want a friend to commit fraud for you.

i would talk to immigration and an adoption agency about it