Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

No water comes out of faucet. Will this affect water bill?

My mom's faucet isn't working. We have to use the sprayer if we need water. It's been like this for months because we can't get it fixed due to virus. Everyone keeps lifting up the thing on the faucet to turn it on and using the sprayer and accidentally not putting it back down because there's no water so everyone forgets. She just screamed at all of us because her water bill is apparently going to be thousands of dollars. Is this true? She does it just as much as any of us but we get yelled at about it. I tried looking it up to show her but I can't find anything. Thank you!

might be a mineral buildup where the water reaches the ole fork in the  faucet road,,turn water off at the feed,cap it if necessary,soak the faucet/shower head in vinegar,,it is a DIY project if it fails to work, wait it out till lockdown and such ends,, or, cap off the connection securely trot on down to home depot or the hardware store get a new faucet sprayer,and both water taps,, some plumbers putty,or teflon tape,, have at it

No more water does not come out of the sprayer than the faucet and to avoid waste she should spray it into a large container like a bucket or pitcher. You might check to see if the faucet just needs a washer and look unde rth sink to make sure there is no leak as that could cause the water bill to go real high. and make sure there are connections of pipes that have been disconnected and some of these things do not require a plumber but can be fixed by anyone. Things under the house or within the walls or under the floors require a plumber but things under the sink can be fixed by you. 

Your consumption should drop. Whether that affects your water bill depends how your water bill is structured.

no it will not because you are still using the same amount of water 

• elhigh

If water isn't coming out of the faucet or the sprayer, no water use is being registered by the water meter.  So Mom needs to take her meds and chill the heck out.

Meanwhile, has anyone tried replacing the aerator?  They're cheap, like $5.00 for a really good one.  If you pay $10 you got robbed.

Unscrew the aerator and turn on the faucet.  If water comes out with the aerator off, replace the aerator.  Job's done.

[edit]

to SumDude: in my facilities I have several faucets fitted with very low flow aerators, as low as 0.5 GPM due to constant misuse from our nonresident guests (we're a homeless shelter), trying to keep the water bill from getting any bigger than it already is.  I'll tell you, your run of the mill 2.0 or so normal aerators get slow...but these low flow models just clog.  Boom, they just stop overnight.  

• SumDude

I live in an area where aerators have a few small "stones" in their mesh but in 50 years I have never had one fully clogged ... lucky me (!)

Your water bill is usually based on the amount of water used. It doesn't matter if it comes through the faucet or the sprayer.

That said, plumbing REPAIR in considered 'essential' in most jurisdictions and you should have been able to have it fixed at any time.

Note: If you have had the same issue for months, any effect on your bill should have already shown up on your monthly bill.

start by removing the screen on the faucet.  pliers should be enough.  clean that and replace it.  if that is not enough, then a handyman can take the faucet apart in order to replace the inner works.  Those are sold at the usual hardware stores

Nope. And plumbers are an essential service so call one if you cannot change the valve / fix the problem yourself.

• elhigh

In my experience cleaning with a toothbrush doesn't work well enough for long enough.  YMMV of course, but I just take off the old and thread on the new.  Two minutes vs. ten minutes X 48 aerators in my facilities, it's cheaper for me to just replace them.

If no water is coming out there's no charge. You only get charged when water is flowing. 

If you have a leak, some municipalities may give you a break if you tell them.  Anyway, try cleaning the faucet aerator.  Probably just unscrew it and clean out any debris.  Should be easy