Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 4 months ago

I have a pocketknife that came with a mirror-smooth cutting edge. How do I preserve this when sharpening?

When I sharpen other knives with a sharpening stone, the edge does not have a nice smooth mirror finish.  The blade on this knife has a mirror finish edge from the factory but I have been using it a couple of years and it needs to be sharpened.

How can I sharpen it without having an ugly rough cutting edge?

• Steve

I suggest the Lansky sharpening system below.  It is reasonably priced (around $50).  If you afford it, get the diamond hone version (around $80) but the stones work just as well.  The diamond hones are less messy and easier to clean, in my opinion..

Then, watch videos on YouTube on "how to do it".  I love the system I have and use it on my pocket knives, sheath knives and kitchen knives.  Get the stropping kit also; it will put that mirror-finish that you desire.  Good Luck - You Can Do This!

Have someone SHOW you how to properly sharpen a knife and WATCH you practice so they can point out what you are doing wrong.

Practice on other knives until your experienced enough