Stimulus and Tax issues?

So I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting access to my Corona virus relief check and doing my taxes in general. I used TurboTax to attempt and do my taxes but whenever I got towards the end and it asked me how much I filed for in my 2018-2019 taxes I put 0 as I should've cause that's the case. I did not file taxes last year as I'm 19 years old. However, it kept telling me It was wrong. I couldn't find a way around it so I tried to file via mail and sent it out around the 18-20th of April (last month) and when I check the IRS website for the status it still says they can't find anything for me. My fiance is also 19 and she filed completely problem free and got her stimulus relatively quickly. Anyone know what my problem is and how I can fix it? Thank you. 

You need to Mail your tax return in rather than file electronically since you can't give them your 2018 adjusted gross income if you have never filed before.  Know that the mailed returns are sitting at the I.R.S. since the shut down- (no one to process.)  Mail it before 7/15/20 to avoid late filing fees & penalties.

At age 19, you are apparently a first time filer.  If you have never filed before, there is no tax account for you in the system and nothing for the computer program to lock onto to verify you.  Putting $0 wouldn't work because of this.  (It does work for other people with files.)

Since you have no account, the only way to efile would be if you used a professional.  Their file would be accepted because they would attest to seeing your ID and verifying that it was you.

With no tax account, you won't get a stimulus check unless and until your 2019 return is a) processed, b) you aren't a dependent on someone else's return and c) the IRS is still issuing the stimulus checks at the time your return is processed.  In all likelihood, you will be trying to claim it on the 2020 tax return which will have a second chance option.

You are not being patient.  Mail in returns take 8-12 weeks to process in a normal year. 

Your problem is (1) you should not have put 0, because putting any number means you filed last year, which you didn't, and (2) you aren't waiting long enough.  Because you filed via mail, you have to give them more time to process it.  You cannot do anything to fix it.  You simply need to wait.  It may take several months.  The stimulus can sent quickly only to those who did not file this year, did file last year, were able to file online, or received social security or railroad retirement benefit.  For anyone who filed by mail this year and did not file last year and did not receive social security or railroad retirement, it will take much longer, perhaps several months.  There is nothing you can do to fix that; you simply have to wait.

• NA

Stephen, $0 does work for some people, but NOT for first time filers.

If you didn't file for 2018 and your 2019 was rejected by the IRS, you didn't file either 2018 or 2019 which was one of the prerequisites for most people to get a stimulus payment.

Tax professional do not have to enter your previous year's agi to file your 2019.

I would suggest that you contact one.

• NA

Wayne, he is apparently a first time filer.  $0 doesn't for work them.