What is the term called when you commit a crime and you go straight to the mental hospital instead of jail?

Favorite Answer

I did psychiatric intake work at a good mental health hospital for decades.

We don't take criminals or people who commit crimes.

If someone commits a crime, they must be arrested for it FIRST, then have a trial and if he is found to be mentally ill, he would be sentenced to a state facility that has a mental health forensic unit.  But by law in America, no matter what, everyone charged with a crime deserves a fair trial.

It's essentially a get out of jail free pass.  

• Brian

The insanity defense, also known as the mental disorder defense, is an affirmative defense by excuse in a criminal case, arguing that the defendant is not responsible for his or her actions due to an episodic or persistent psychiatric disease at the time of the criminal act.

• user8993611 month agoReport

I want to know the term is called for when you go straight to the hospital instead of jail when you are arrested. I know what psychosis and psychotic breaks are. When I was in treatment someone said that they have an Lri and they go to the asylum when they commit crimes. What is an Lri?