Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

If a person from 1920 were to appear in the modern day, would they be able to completely adapt?

to the point where they would be indistinguishable from the rest if the population?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

In my opinion, I suppose if a person who died around the early 20th century is resurrected in the contemporary era would not be shocked by the leap in technological advancement. Most of the development in technology started to emerge around the beginning of this century. It will be plausible for him to see aeroplanes in the sky and cars in the streets. Moreover, it will be reasonable to find long-distanced people communicating through a device. However, they might be quite intrigued by the improvements that have been implemented on these tools. For instance, seeing touchable gadgets like smartphones for the first time would be thrilling. Not to mention the excitement they would perceive from finding real tedious tasks being performed by just a single click, as in washing and laundry machines.

These are the general noticeable things a 1920 man revived from the dead would come across in the least. However, it can get much complicated and the amazement would elevate to a much greater extent if he is to be shown the revolution in the industrial field. To name some, the devastating manufacturing tasks that used to take long durations of time and be susceptible to dangers, such as welding, are nowadays taking an incredibly short length of time in a safe working environment, thanks to the robotic systems and laser inducing machinery. I presume these will leave him much more mesmerized than only attending to common daily life aspects mentioned beforehand. This also applies to all industries including but not limited to medicine, food and clothing.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Even a caveman could adapt as they too are humans and all humans adapt. It would depend on other variables such as age and education etc but it is not just a possibility that they would adapt, is is the probable conclusion to your question. Adapting to our environment is what humans do best. Probably as well as any other of God's creatures. If we could not adapt then we would long ago have vanished from the earth. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They would think humanity had gone utterly insane and they might actually commit suicide out of despair if they could not go back.

• 1 month ago

People from 1920 are still alive all over the world. There are quite a few people who are 100 or older. Would they be able to adapt completely? Well if they're still here, they obviously DID. 

I don't think it would be difficult to adapt--no one lives like they did in the 1920s anymore. It's not like 1920 was some alien culture. 

• kenta4 weeks agoReport

Technically people from the 1920s are rare, I'd consider people born during the 1920s as people from the 1940s as they reached adulthood during that decade. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Which person? Maybe not you because your uncertainty is disturbing. I know it would be easy for me. My parents were born in the 20s and they passed away recently well adjusted. But I'm curious, what happens if they don't adjust? We're creatures dedicated to survival. That's how species proliferate.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think mostly yes except the Internet, mobile phones and more traffic (esp. cars and air traffic)  not that much has changed.

• 1 month ago

no as they would die from a heart attack at the sight of a plane

that and seeing black people as free and the cloths wemon wear

• ...Show all comments
    • Imbecile! The first powered flight was in 1903, planes were heavily in use by the First World War which (in case you don’t know) was 1914 to 1918! If a person from 1920 appeared today, I think within a very short time, they would certainly be more technologically savvy than you are!

• 1 month ago

If he was aware he had traveled through time and was reasonably intelligent, I don’t think he’d have any problem. 

• DON W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only with great difficulty.  They would recognize automobiles, but wouldn't know how to start or drive a modern one.  They would maybe recognize landline telephones, but wouldn't know how to use one and wouldn't have a clue about cell phones.  They wouldn't know anything about computers or the internet.  They would know a bit about radio, but wouldn't know anything radio broadcasts or about television.  They would know about banks but not about credit or debit cards.  They would be shocked by modern styles of clothing, particularly summer wear.  They would know about aviation, but almost certainly had never been up in an airplane.  They would be surprised that passenger railroads were no longer heavily used.  If from a city, they would be surprised that most streetcars lines were long ago abandoned, but they would more or less recognize the subway.

They would know about electrical appliances, lights, and indoor plumbing, but wouldn't immediately recognize most of the ways we now use them.

They wouldn't immediately recognize a current political map of the world, including the dissolution of most of the former empires.  

They would be surprised that women are now mostly treated as the equal of men.

They would be surprised that the average lifespan is much longer than it used to be.  They would know about doctors, but modern medicine would surprise them, particularly the use of antibiotics and vaccines.

They would definitely recognize our current pandemic, having survived the Spanish Flu of 1918-19.

• 1 month ago

I think they could, but not right away.  It might take a year or two to learn modern slang, and computer skills, and get used to fast food and sound movies.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.