Do Jews actually believe the Pentateuch is literally true?

I thought Jews were for the most part fairly intelligent but now I'm not so sure.

Favorite Answer

We don't call it the Pentateuch...we call it the Torah.  There are levels of observance in Judaism.  Orthodox Judaism is the most fundamental; Conservative Judaism is less so but still mostly observant; Reform Judaism is less observant and most of the Jews are Reform Jews.

• Richard

A plurality of the NORTH AMERICAN Jews are Reform.

What about Christians who also follow the Pentateuch? There are lots of fundamentalist Protestants who believe in the Creation story, the Flood, etc.

You mustn't be intelligent if you don't know how to use google and look up any of the myriad number of government statistic websites worldwide to figure out that not all Jews are alike. I know how to do my research so does that make me more intelligent than you? 

Religious Jews are people who truly believe in God and take their religion seriously. Religious Jews do in fact believe that the Tanakh - the entire Old Testament - is true. If they did not believe the Tanakh is literally true than they would have to consider the Bible to be a book of fables or legends mixed in with lies and half truths. No religious Jew could truly follow their religion and keep it going if it's members didn't truly believe in it. Your comments below reveal a hint about your personality. 

You only consider atheists to be intelligent but not religious people who follow their religion. You haven't even mentioned if you've considered or listened to religious arguments. You certainly aren't open minded to listen to anyone new who you haven't spoken to before that might challenge your thinking! You didn't give me a chance before I could answer so I'm not going to giving you a chance and an informed opinion about you. I'll just judge you for person you appear to present yourself as: judgmental, arrogant and ignorant. That says all I need to know about you!

Your comment below says "Then they are not religious Jews, are they?" if we DON'T take our religion seriously but your question seeks to know "Do Jews actually believe the Pentateuch is literally true?". Thus any answer good or bad about religious Jews can only be criticized and ridiculed by you. The only answers you are searching for is: only atheist Jews are the intelligent kind and every other Jew to the contrary is unintelligent - your reason is not because they are Jews but because they are atheists. This question can only be summarized as insincere and bigoted. I sense a hint of sarcasm, cynicism and snickering behind your remarks in the details of your question and in the comments below.  

Who are you to judge us? Are we being measured by your standards? For all I know you didn't even finish high school and you are just bumming around expecting your wife and children to support you while you collect government unemployment benefits and sit on your tuchus all day long on yahoo answers. I can't size you up because I don't know you. To be honest nothing about you makes me think you are intelligent. Nothing at all. I just see a forgetful face right now among a sea of other users. Who are you? You are nobody! LOL! What kind of contributor are you? It looks like you are only a level 3 account. You haven't been here very long, at least you are unrecognizable. 

I have been here for a few years. I just don't post very often which is why I am also a level 3. My accounts have been deleted in the past when this place was more active and there were more trolls who would try to delete my accounts in debates and arguments. I have proven myself who I am and what I believe on this forum. I don't need unsubstantiated opinions to make myself feel good or popularity. When I say something I back it up with evidence or try to argue the point. Most users know me on R&S. But I don't know you. So I'm not sure if you are intelligent let alone fairly intelligent. An inflated ego for sure! 

Your opinion holds no weight and will continue to go unnoticed because your opinion is no more correct than the millions of other people who think otherwise.  

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
    • John

I was wrong grouping all Jews together, but I think anyone who literally believes in all the ridiculous things in the Torah is not very intelligent.  That's my opinion and I am entitled to it.

The Pentateuch is only the first five books (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy), however, the Tanakh would be the entire Old Testament (consisting of Psalms, Isaiah...etc...). The Brit Chadashah is the New Testament.

i think some of them might believe that

Do some people mistakenly believe that all people within a group think and believe exactly alike on all things, and judge the whole group that way, when they clearly dont?

Who is a Jew?

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.

It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do. A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew, even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox. In this sense, Judaism is more like a nationality than like other religions, and being Jewish is like a citizenship.

• John

Then they are not religious Jews, are they?